Mystery Colt

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As President of FEGA, I received an inquiry regarding this Colt, and Roger Bleile The FEGA historian and I have not been able to identify the engraver.
The Piece is prewar and appears original with factory grips and silver finish.
The Colt engravers of that time were Glahn , and Gough, and I am told an engraver named McGraw did some factory work, and of course the occasional Kornbrath.
The most noticeable thing to my eye, is the stippled background, and lack of progression marks which make look almost like a pneumatic job, but the evidence is there to indicate that this revolver was in this condition as far back as the 1950's and possibly earlier, and possibly factory.
If anyone has any leads, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys.
All I know is what I can see in the pics.
The fellow who is asking us is a world renowned firearm authority and he believes it is original- however, he is not asking because he knows what it is exactly, and we are all scratching our heads.
This is one of those things that when we figure it out, we are all going to say, I shoulda guessed that!

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I might add there is something about it that reminds me of the 7-30 engraving pattern on the Winchester model 70, and I don't know who did those- JOSEPH might know, are you listening Joseph?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
strange to me. if done by any engraver of note, would it not bear the signature or mark ? were the "factory" engravers allowed to add their sig or marks ? or was that an individual option for them ? just curious about that, barry. good luck in your quest.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Neither were the Japanese ones. To be honest it looks like one of my first guns. I was not qualified to cut a gun at the time I started like many others-it is not however mine or I would fess up Fred