Transfer Wax versus Chinese White

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam in your lettering video I notice you use transfer wax to transfer your letters on to. This makes clean-up afterwards convenient. Are there any instances where you prefer to use Chinese white or something else instead?

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I rarely (actually never) use Chinese white. Nothing against it. I've just been using transfer wax for so long I'm used to it. So far it's done everything I need to do as far as design transfer and layout.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've switched to layout wax for the most part as well. I still use Chinese white on occasion when I need to manipulate a piece and there's a chance of losing an important detail.
On that note, I actually used a nifty little Liquid Chalk pen that happened to be laying on my bench to lay out the lettering on the top of a cast iron pot of all things. It goes on like Chinese white but it has a nice wide felt tip. The brand name is "NEO CHALK" and I think they can be found a craft stores. Saved my butt on that weird pebbly surface. And surprisingly enough, the lettering came out quite nice and didn't chip like I expected it to. Learn something new every day!
Layne

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ttransfer wax good. chinese white bad. wide tipped marker for glass-- has possibilites not sure enough about the stuff, except to say more experimentation needed. cirelli sauce double plus good. the choice of wax or cirelli sauce== depends what i'm doing as to which i use. i fiddled a long time with making my own wax formula. a waste of time. the wax sam sells does a good job. it's way cheaper than foolin around tryin to make yer own.
some time ago,somebody posted about the fingerprint ink. it's messy as heck, but when you learn how to really use it, it makes highly visible transfers. it is called "sirchie". about 8 bucks- enough for several thousand transfers.

Attachments

• transfer.JPG
    transfer.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 220

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
You can dilute the FPI with talcum powder( just a smidgen). It acts as a drying agent, making it less likely to cause an unholy mess, yet still transfers perfectly.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i must give that a try. have learned to not make too much of a mess, but this really got my attention. tyvm

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I actually used a nifty little Liquid Chalk pen that happened to be laying on my bench
Sharpie makes markers in both silver and gold colors. They both lay down a nice base for transfers and can just be wiped off with alcohol when you're done.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Funny you mentioned that. Thanks. Just got back from the art supply store and happened to pick out the gold and silver sharpies.

Latest posts

Sponsors