NSK or foredom powerhand 3

krisf

Hello all, looking for some opinions between the NSK rotary tool that GRS sells and a Foredom powerhand 3. Price is pretty comparable between the 2. I use a older foredom every day now, use is mostly typical jewelry bench work,

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think these are the main differences in the performance.

Power Hand 3 PH3 35X Slim Rotary Handpiece: RPM: 1,000 TO 35,000
NSK Emax EVOlution: RPM: 1,000 TO 40,000
GRS Ultra 850: RPM: 320,000

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Dental LABRATORY burs are 3/32" shank and are rated no higher than the 100K. The smaller diameter shanked HIGH SPEED burs are what are used in the intraoral handpieces, (to actually drill teeth, which uses water spray as the coolant) are used up to 400,000 rpm. For gemsetting the 3/32" burs are the ones routinely used.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the explanation.:)

So if your planning using 3/32 burrs for various applications, then a 300k machine isn't much use.

Last edited:

DDBright

A good source for used hand pieces and micromoters, that is often overlooked, is your local dental hand piece repair person. Almost every large city has a few of them. They rebuild this type of equipment everyday and often have rebuilt equipment to sell. Best of all, they are able to fix what you buy from them in case something goes wrong with it at a later date.

I recently made a connection like this with two Ney hand pieces that I picked up. One was the 300k type with the 1/16 inch bur and the other was a slower one with a 3/32 inch bur. Hand pieces were in excellent condition (at a great price) but the foot pedal needed a little work. This guy had one of each for sale on Ebay that he repaired. He is totally familiar with the equipment and has lots of spare parts to keep it running. I also scored an additional foot pedal at a great price too.

David

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think krisf is asking about the NSK and Foredom micromotors and not the air turbine handpieces.

I have two NSKs and they're excellent machines. NSK has a stellar reputation for high precision and many say they're the best micromotors in the world. I've not tried the Foredom so I can't advise on that. The NSK also has an optional speed reducer that increases torque at very slow speeds for preparing seats for diamond setting.

DDBright

Sam
Whatever the guys in the dental lab use, the actual guys who make the dentures and teeth, these people repair. When I was at this guys place he had a bunch of micro motor units in various stages of repair sitting around the bench. I really did not get a good look at brand names as some of them looked like they were ridden hard and put away wet, but they definitely were micro motor units. I guess I got off on a tangent with the reason that I went to visit the repairman, but my point is that some of these people have some very good micro motor units for sale, and a good relationship with someone who professionally repairs them (if and when they need it) is invaluable, and most likely an overlooked source for purchasing the equipment, at a good price.

In my case, I was sort of committed to the air turbine and the slower 3/32 unit as I had already purchased them. While I was at his shop, I got a good look at all the stuff he was repairing and remembered the people on here who were asking about some of these units, I posted what I did as a reminder that sometimes thinking outside the box for a source of equipment can be quite fruitful. And, even if you purchase the NSK or the Foredom brand new, the first time it hits the concrete floor you may need the services of a man like I found.

David

krisf

thanks for the reply sam. i used the nsk at grs and it is a nice tool but i love my 13 year old foredom, the nsk seems kinda pretty and fragile, i know the foredom has hit the floor, but always worked,

Latest posts

Sponsors