finally anodized the girl

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After long adu I finally got around to colouring in this titanium dog tag I made a few months back. Also am nearly finished on the cross pendant I cut out of a sheet and engraved yesterday. The two Celtic knotwork rings are grs cronite practice plate.

Attachments

• IMAG5648.jpg
    IMAG5648.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 615

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Bonjour Danae, congratulations for your engraving.
I think you are going to have a lot of fun with anodizing ;)

Jean

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

A little closer up.

Also can anyone help with design for folding knife.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The dog tag is wonderful. Color control is great. I have never done this. it sure adds a new dimension to your Ti work. Do you 931.48 GB (0.01 GB free)live out in the bush? For a young person don't forget you only get one go around but you seem to spend all of yours working. Have a marvelous day.Fred

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Dani,I'd put a third flower in there kind of facing away. Maybe it's just me, but I always seem to think odd numbers of flowers look better.

Todd

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Dani,I'd put a third flower in there kind of facing away. Maybe it's just me, but I always seem to think odd numbers of flowers look better.

Todd

When you count all the flowers in the picture there is an odd amount of flowers, there are 5.
But I agree, the flowers above seem a pair, maybe two pair of three flowers would look better.
Very good carving Danae and nice coloring as well.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Danae

Your problem is around the flower area and the way the work is flowing. You have the stems and flowers coming out at 90 degrees from the edge of the knife.........this is killing the flow of the design and jarring the senses. Every aspect of the design must flow to create movement. Any abrupt changes in angles as you have done stick out like dogs balls and look out of place. Pictorial work is another matter but what you have done is not pictorial. It is part of a design so all parts of that design must be in harmony..................be at one with the universe Grasshopper type of thing :)

If you wish to add flowers etc to your work..........then check out the Italian style engraving. They are absolute Masters at it. In particular you want to search out Davide Pedersoli and Creative Art. You should be able to find their web sites with a Google search.

Both have books written about them and are well worth purchasing for reference....that is if you can still find them as I believe both books are now out of print.

Their work is purely inspirational!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Andrew. Your honest reply is sincerely appreciated. I have never tried a rose before. Funny... My engraving teacher calls me grasshopper.

I will look up the masters you mentioned as soon as I get home.

Regards
Danae

Andrew Biggs

Yes, that's the Creative Art book alright.

It has some superb engraving work inside the covers and the artists themselves are very nice people. :)

Cheers
Andrew

PS. It looks like GRS may still have a few copies left as I see it is still on their web site.

Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hellow

Sorry, no progress yet, but I've just blackened all the engraving so it's a little easier to see as a whole, also $10 engraved knife in background I just put back together today.

Attachments

• aluminium stonewash and flowers.jpg
    aluminium stonewash and flowers.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 116

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was going to put some sort of a band(flower pot) or something around the roses, but forgot about it and cut straight through to the border and then went, bugger... oh well, that's out now... don't know if it would have looked any better. If you were going to engrave roses with stalks and leaves like these on this knife where would you put them?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.

Kind Regards

Danae.

And thanks Andrew for the suggestions... I've been wanting those books for ages but I'm just tight with money, ignorance is so much more expensive than education though so time I forked out the $

Thanks again

Andrew Biggs

Hi Danae

You can put roses and flowers just about anywhere you want. There is no ideal place............but they must be in harmony with the rest of the design. Not just banged in there as an afterthought. Although they can sometimes be useful space fillers if done properly.

I don't know how you draw or what your process is so I'm unsure of how you approach the work or design.

Planning is an important part of the design process............winging it as you go is a recipe for problems as you end up with blank areas that are very difficult to do anything with. The most important part of the design is your scrolls. Make sure that you get them all in place before you start cutting. These are the foundations of your designs. Once the scrolls are in place.........then you can almost fill them with anything that you like. Leaves, flowers, bananas, beer cans or whatever. This is where thumbnail sketches come in handy. Plan your work ahead to avoid these problems.

It's also time to start adding a bit of finesse to your cutting............your scrolls and leaves, where they touch the borders. When you draw a scroll, make it touch the border., same with the leaves. When you cut the scroll/leaves, make the cut come out of the border line/cut. At the moment you have background between the border and the scroll/leaves. By bringing your scroll cut out of the border you avoid this...........somewhere in the tips archive I did a series of photos showing this. Try it on a practice plate and you will see it for yourself. These are small points that add finesse to your work.

The heads of your scrolls.........not good. They look cheap and rushed compared to the rest of your shading which is very nice. Try to put a bit more thought into those areas and your work will advance to another level.

I can't emphasise enough the importance of excellent resource material like books. Study the work of the best.

Cheers
Andrew

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's also time to start adding a bit of finesse to your cutting............your scrolls and leaves, where they touch the borders. When you draw a scroll, make it touch the border., same with the leaves. When you cut the scroll/leaves, make the cut come out of the border line/cut. At the moment you have background between the border and the scroll/leaves. By bringing your scroll cut out of the border you avoid this...........somewhere in the tips archive I did a series of photos showing this. Try it on a practice plate and you will see it for yourself. These are small points that add finesse to your work.

Andrew, eventually, somewhere out of the blue, it finally hit me as to why you should have your backbones touch the borders. It's because it's not the lines that matter, it's what you leave behind. As engravers we get caught up in the lines when (except for Fine English Scroll) the lines don't really matter.

I keep thinking I should edit my sig to include "In engraving, as in Life, it's not the lines we cut that matter so much as the shapes we leave behind."

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Dani when I looked at this post (as opposed to the first shot in the vise) it occurred to me that you have a nice sense of depth happening with the flower on the right very much in the foreground. Why not make use of what you've started and make a field of flowers going off into the distance?