Question: Drawing Gold

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok, I've drawn silver just fine to the size I currently need but I'm having trouble with 24 karat gold, started through .65. then .60 and now cant get it to go through .55. I tried both leaving alone aftet previous draw but i continue to break the tip as I draw, then tried dead soft same results. my draw plate jumps in .05 increments. Tried with and without bees wax. hmmm maybe i should stick it in a potato first.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414976531229.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414976531229.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 176

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Carlos,

Are you using the correct size pencil to draw the wire...?

Seriously,

First and most important question: Has anyone ever instructed you in how to hold your mouth in the correct position when a project requires extra effort?

Second question: WHAT are pulling the wire with? You know yer not supposed to do it with yer teeth, right?

Brian

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, if Sam could have hung out in Vic's shop they would have got along just fine as long as he worked his ass off all day and didn't try to blow smoke up his @ss like Gordy Alderson used to try to do. Then at the end of the day they would have enjoyed the wonderful meal that Kathy would have cooked. Then in the morning Sam would be ****ed because the dogs barking at the coyotes all night kept him from sleeping.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I spent a coupla nights in my camper parked at Vics, probably '89 or '90?

Had a girlfriend with me, Adriana...

When she asked me what that noise was all about, I told her those coyotes circling the truck all night were wolves.

She stayed right up next to me the whole night. Wide awake.

Come to find out the next morning that the reason she wanted to know was because she had to pee.

She was a city girl, what can I say...

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vic complained that he had a sleeping problem. I told him he didn't have a sleeping problem, he had an effing dog problem.
I liked the time when Sharon Stone tried to act like a big wheel in his shop one day. She didn't get too far.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm too deaf for dog barking to keep my from sleeping.

Carlos: Taper the end of your wire on your power hone to a long taper. Anneal it and push a few millimeters though the hole and grab it with needle nose pliers. Lube w/beeswax of course. Try to do a long, smooth pull without stopping.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It would definitely have been interesting to see you two meet up.

If it ever does happen, in another incarnation or whatever, I'd love to be there! (Vic's been gone 14 years now)

My 5 dogs only bark for a reason.

Unfortunately they seem to find a lot of reasons...

Strangers walking by out front (they can't see 'em or they'd be even louder), cats, raccoons, the phase of the moon or just because the mood strikes 'em.

Then there's the couple times a year when Jess comes in heat. The howling that my male dog does will keep you laughing for hours...

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
search thru Chris DeCamillis' videos (http://www.engraversstudio.com/apps/vblog/) for tapering wire by rolling. i've used much the same technique for 30 yrs and it will taper a wire down to nothing. it also makes a nicely work-hardened tip that won't mush when grasped with the pliers.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, just a note, I find that case lube makes a fine lube for drawing. To be clear I mean the lube used when resizing cartridge cases (RCBS case lube). works for me but like I said just a note.

scott99

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everyone who posted an informative response, I figured it out well before the responses or what some think are reponses. Your input really helps the next person searching thru the forum, I made the taper 1 1/2 or so inches long, lubed with 3 in 1 and presto was able to get down to .50.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe there is a thread in the archives by John B. about making wire including the use of a piece of steel sheet metal for a diving board during annealing. I have used the same technique for making wire that I learned from John for ever. And yes case lube works great.

Sponsors