Demagnitizer

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
all this hi tech crap gives me a headache !. alls you gotta do is keep a fairly fresh potato near your graver holder. this protects the entire lot. give it a try. the potato is effective until it loses about 30% of its' original mass due to water loss. also cheaper on yer electric bill, no danger of shock, and yer gravers are always ready for service.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A five page thread on demagnetizers. Who'd a thunk it. Thought I'd post a pic of the one I use. It's an old Watchmakers unit from the C.E. Marshall company. Similar units come up on ebay quite regularly. It is an instant type that cycles on and off with a single push of the button. The object to be demagnetized is placed on the little glass disc. Wish I knew what all the nifty electronics involved were. Alas, I have zero skill in that department. 20141108_134242.jpg 20141110_170739.jpg 20141110_170802.jpg 20141108_134227.jpg

homemadetools

I haven't tried it lately or with a graver but I learned this back in the High School while in electronics class. Since I don't trust my memory, I "GOOGLED" it before I responded. There are references to it such as these below. I'm gonna have to try this myself to see if I can get it to work.

http://www.homemadetools.net/demagnetizing-tool

Jon here from HomemadeTools.net.

I know this thread is an old one, but thanks for the mention :beerchug:

To celebrate our 20,000th homemade tool, we made a new ebook featuring our top 50 homemade tools. You guys are welcome to it for free:

http://download.homemadetools.net/50MustReadTools.pdf

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
An iron rod will magnetize if oriented to earth's magnetic north and then struck sharply with a hammer. I'm betting you used to be more or less oriented north and south then and now you are oriented more east and west. :)

ha, ha doc. some of us are disorientated ! what about us ?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
demagnetizer.jpg

This is one one I use. It's a K&D and it demagnetizes gravers, steel practice plates, tweezers, etc., in an instant. There are probably less expensive options but this one is very well built and made in the USA.

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
I obtained a degausser when I worked on watches. It was an antique when I bought it 25 years ago but it still works today. I wouldn't be without it.

Dan

homemadetools

Very useful info, thanks

You're welcome, enjoy

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member

homemadetools

Hey guys - we have a new ebook out: How to Make a Belt Sander. 100% free of course. Click the graphic below to check it out:

Sponsors