Compressor help

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Ok got a question for you guys. Currently we have three gravermax's an we have one sil air compressor with the four gallon tank. Usually we only have one graver going but here lately there has been times where I have had my ultra 850 going an someone else gets on a engraving or stone setting project and the compressor just won't keep up. Which it sorta struggles with that 850 going.
We are exploring the idea of upgrading to the compressor sil air has with the two heads an 13 gallon tank. Do you think this would be a good match for us? Worse case scenario would that compressor handle two ultra 850's going at the same time plus a gravermax?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
one solution might be to add an extra tank to your system. such would take more time to fully charge, but might solve your problem. naturally this would depend on the duration of the 3rd. tool in use, if the 3rd tool were used for extended periods, you'd be right back where you started. the two headed job would deliver enough cubes to keep all 3 happy, i would think.

silvermon

The Sil Aire with two heads and 13 gallon tank should do quite fine. Remember that you will still have your current system to back it up. You can daisy chain the two together by adjusting the start set pressure higher on the smaller system than the setting on the new system and manifold the output into one pipe. The larger primary system will provide most of your air with the smaller system coming on during highest demand. I think Silent Aire has a white paper on this somewhere on their website.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Not being a compressor expert, I can only relate the woes of some whom I've known to burn up their units prematurely. There are guys who've put 30 gallon heads on 60 gallon tanks, and wonder why they failed. Those things run hot, and have duty cycles. With extra handpieces and the addition of a rotary tool, it's no wonder the compressor won't keep. A two-headed compressor, or better, is needed. . .an extra tank is adding to the premature failure of the unit, at some point in time. The 60 or 80 gallon compressors are fine, if you can put them outside somewhere, out of earshot. The silent or Jun compressors are just too expensive to be replacing, but the big, ugly monsters will work at a leisurely pace. I don't think there is a small unit out there that is made to run continuously, and you just need the size to match the task.

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Personally I'd go with a 60 or 80 gallon 220v unit. The larger the capacity the less it will cycle the longer it will last. I use an 80 gallon Ingersol on rubber mounts, which helps with dampening vibration and noise, and when I'm engraving it cycles about every hour. I, however, don't use an air powered rotary tool.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use 80 gallon 220 Volts with very silent compressor

Latest posts

Sponsors