First try at sculpting

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
This is my first try with sculpting and a bit of overlay..comments and advices are welcome! :beatup:

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Very fine progress Stefano. Since you ask, the whiskers seem a little unresolved, compared to the rest.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think I would have given the right (looking at the item) horn a less tight bend, even if I had to cover the scroll at the top. But that said, very nice work.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hmm: the images finally showed. they appear to be very nice. good looking work. what, pray tell, are these ? bolsters, pendants, thingamagigs ? whatever, they're coollookin !

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice work. When you say overlay do mean you soldered them on then sculpted the whole project? I agree with the advice given but they are sure better Ideas than I came up with for my first. I'll have to finish that one of these days. Fredd

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for the appreciation and the advices!
I understand i've omitted to clarify what they are, only Monk has seen through the mist! they are a couple of bolsters for a dagger...
I've really appreciated all your advices...Jim Kelso you're right, the whiskers are not perfect but it has been a pain to sculpt them in silver, a lesson learned for the next time!!
Ed Westerly, i understand what you mean, the horns are a representation of real ones, so the prospective should be correct, at least i hope! :)
Thank you Fred, no it is no soldered, i've relieved the background, sculpted the dragon and inlayed the gold copper and silver, the inlays are "overlay", they are sculpted and higher than the rest of the dragon..i hope you understand my terrible explanation!! :)

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dragons always make for a great sculpted piece. Yours is very nicely done. I do agree with Jim that the "Wiskers" on the right one could be a little thinner and wispy. They seem a little heavy compared to the rest of the piece. But that is a nitpicking critique. Only another engraver would even think of that.
Great job!
Layne

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Southern Custom, i've learned that something slim and slender like wiskers should be carved in steel, an overlay in softer metals is too fragile to be sculpted with good result...at least for me! ;)

Sponsors