Question: Polymer frame?

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos:
Test cut it with the graver geometry you are used to & see what happens.... Might cut fine, you never know till you try.

Not all these are "low brow" commissions. I've seen several MP5's completely covered with engraving (frame included).....and, With the Crest of the Royal family they belonged to inset into the grip....!
De gustibus

Weldon

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
I see nothing wrong with taking a job like this, but, and it's a big but, it's hard to remain anonymous in our modern world.

Perhaps as engravers, we will have to become like writers and use the "Ghost Writer" idea and become "Ghost Engravers" for those unsightly and embarrassing jobs that we might take on! :biggrin:

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I can't believe how sensitive some people are on this subject. I have two glocks to engrave in the pipeline. Granted not what I would like to engrave, but a challenge none the less. I will only be doing the slides. I came up with a design for them that resembles German camo with some leaf structures. One will have copper and gold inlay the other will not.

With the numbers of these guns out there today. I would think it would be a financial mistake for someone to turn there noses up to working on them, especially an engraver that does not have the client base as do most of the establish engravers. You could become the man that all others follow on engraving Glocks.

Just try to think outside the box with the design. These pistols were designed with one function and not meant to look pretty so think mean, LOL
I would look at it as a challenge and something fresh and new to work on, So Carlos do what you want and don't worry about what your follow engravers say. Remember your client is cutting you the check at the end of the day.

Just my two cents, so let the battering continue. ZZ

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

I don't think it's a matter of sensitivity. It is more a reflection of the diverse opinions people have about the subject and where your own personal philosophies lie.

There's no right or wrong to any of this. If someone wants to engrave polymer grips or monogram dunny roll holders then that's fine and nothing wrong with it. To each his own.

But I do draw the line of putting lipstick on a pig..............even a good looking pig :)

Cheers
Andrew

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
In my opinion (and I'm sure some will controvert it) putting your work on tactical guns will only harm your reputation down the line.QUOTE]

I definately don`t understand the logic in this attitude, & hopefully "traditionalist customers" will look at what quality work you are capable of doing & not the fact you happen to carve some object of disgust on occasion.

Marcus just engraved a cheap Spyderco, I presume his knife engraving career has been tarnished beyond repair :thinking:

Thanks for the interesting thread, I have to say I do understand both sides & agree on certain points for both.
I`ll not add any more to this.

Last edited:

Lane

If someone like Carlos were to have a table at the FEGA annual convention with nothing but engraved glocks would they be shown the door?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If someone like Carlos were to have a table at the FEGA annual convention with nothing but engraved glocks would they be shown the door?

Shown the door? I seriously doubt that would happen.

Andrew Biggs

I've heard all the stories as well. Some true, some not so true and some not true at all. The past is the past and I don't see any purpose in regurgitating and nurturing old grievances, wounds, misunderstandings and misdemeanours as it serves no purpose. Time to move on and get over it ............. What matters is what FEGA is like today in the here and now.

Carlos, or anyone else displaying engraved Glocks wouldn't be shown the door. In fact they would be welcomed with open arms............FEGA is all about the members and their work, regardless of what their work is. Naturally the primary focus is on guns as you would expect. There is no specifications as to what guns. However we also have members showing knives, bits of leatherwork, scrimshaw, jewellery and all sorts of other things on their tables. The FEGA members are an eclectic mix and so are our potential clients and regular customers

The FEGA Gun Engravers show is open to all FEGA members, regardless of the guns they engrave or the level of skill they have achieved. Like all organisations things change and evolve, just as they should do.

I would encourage anyone interested in the art of hand engraving to come to the show and members to participate. You will meet highly talented and good people that are willing to share their skills and pass their knowledge onto others that are willing to listen. You will also get to actually see a lot of varieties of engraving.

We are also blessed that we have quite a few dual ACGG and FEGA members that display their custom made guns at the show. Often the custom gun maker will collaborate with the other artists around them like engravers and scrim artists.........so there is something for everyone.

Cheers
Andrew

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Then Brian I am going to assume its not true. Joseph is such a talented man and I am sure his art was a benefit to the show. I wish Joseph was still on here.

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
I think this would be a great endeavor, you could potentially catch a good market with law enforcement, who by and larger all carry glock or sig. It is a pioneering idea, though it has already been done, it's something that is unique. The gun trader pages in my neck of the wood are packed with guys and gals who love their Glocks and sigs. Dare I say they even show off their 'collection' of Glocks. Have you ever met a 20 something rough neck? Seen one of their collections of guns.... Not all pristine guns, but I guns none the less. You try to tell them they aren't collectors... Bottom line is the dollar... And it's something to get practice on, that you'd don't have to buy the gun for. My to cents.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One good thing I learned on the Savage, the polymer cut real good, as long as I wasn't heavy handed with it. With the Glocks, at least the slides are flat.

Latest posts

Sponsors