Question: Polymer frame?

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos
Roger is 100 percent. Correct. Just say no, do you really want your name on something like that, MTC;)

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lipstick on a pig. Just not a Roger's opinion, my also. Sorry

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lipstick on a pig, lol.
I was thinking "you can drag a horse to water, but you can't put a saddle on a duck"

Carlos, you need to learn a new word - "NO!"

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got a job to engrave a Savage .270 and most of it was polymer.....couldn't help but do it as I agreed to do it before I knew what I wou get. NEVER AGAIN! I believe it cheapens our worth. Just my opinion I guess.

Bill

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
It's certainly not my thing, but if the customer's money is green and you are capable of the work, it has some merit from a business perspective.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Haraga, Toe weights, Both Fronts as they had to match. Didn't even look for the shoe, just joined the mule wagon and came back in for lunch before I finished. Fred

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ya' know, this conundrum reminds me of some issues I had with certain dental patients. When I first graduated from Dental School, I said that I would never do any thing that compromised my personal esthetic. When I started private practice I had a few patients ask for gold crowns on their front teeth. I flatly refused as I thought "showing gold" was as ridiculous as tattoos on a woman! (Shows you how long ago I'm talking about.) As the years went on, I was gently informed by a very respected dentist that I was being arrogant in deciding what esthetic was the correct one for every patient. "As long as the work did not endanger the health of the patient, then give him/her what they wanted." So I slowly began to adopt his philosophy and did the best damn gold crowns I could make. I also charged appropriately for the work. (I've also had to change my opinion on tattoos on women!) I now realize that my concepts off art are not shared by all members of our society. (As an example, I find the majority of abstract art unlovable, to be gentle)

So, I someone wants his Glock fully engraved, so be it. As long as you do the best job he can afford, I do not think it diminishes you as an engraver. Would I OWN such a gun, HELL NO! "Lipstick on a pig", so what. If it makes the pig feel better, who are we to contradict. He, he ,he.

Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
To "atexascowboy2011", there is an answer to your gold plating question, of plating polymer to some nonconductive material. You can plate the untouchables, from wood to hardened chunks of manure, the latter of which some might have come to mind when viewing photos of the engraved and plated Glocks. In an old set of DIY books, it showed a set up for such, and from memory all you do is paint the nonconductive object with a graphite/carbon based paint, and apply a copper coat and a gold coat. Later, I'll dig up the 10-volume set to refresh my memory with the specifics. I only mention this as it came to mind, and I DISCLAIM any promotion to garish art. . .as I don't have a reputation of any kind at present, I don't want to ruin any type that may arise as I progress.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Another Typo Again

I meant plating gold to some nonconductive material, not polymer. Don't know how you'd plate polymer to anything, anyway.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Plastic is plated all the time. Think chrome on plastic bumpers/ grills trucks cars.
I swore a client to secrecy once. He showed pics to his banker. Which happened to be my loan officer.
Did i get another client yes. But the word was out.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Fred can relate to this.
A prospective customer called about trimming and shoeing her herd of 60+ miniatures. Prior to meeting her I swore not to degrade myself by doing midget horses !
BUT, at $1,000 per day for 2 EASY days of work , I swallowed my pride.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ya' know, this conundrum reminds me of some issues I had with certain dental patients. When I first graduated from Dental School, I said that I would never do any thing that compromised my personal esthetic. When I started private practice I had a few patients ask for gold crowns on their front teeth. I flatly refused as I thought "showing gold" was as ridiculous as tattoos on a woman! (Shows you how long ago I'm talking about.) As the years went on, I was gently informed by a very respected dentist that I was being arrogant in deciding what esthetic was the correct one for every patient. "As long as the work did not endanger the health of the patient, then give him/her what they wanted." So I slowly began to adopt his philosophy and did the best damn gold crowns I could make. I also charged appropriately for the work. (I've also had to change my opinion on tattoos on women!) I now realize that my concepts off art are not shared by all members of our society. (As an example, I find the majority of abstract art unlovable, to be gentle)

So, I someone wants his Glock fully engraved, so be it. As long as you do the best job he can afford, I do not think it diminishes you as an engraver. Would I OWN such a gun, HELL NO! "Lipstick on a pig", so what. If it makes the pig feel better, who are we to contradict. He, he ,he.
The only constant is change, these firearms were not around when most here started engraving, ive seen some on gunbroker sell for 7g the person who engraved them and inlaid with gold had 5 for sale, they all sold, I found that rather intriguing, and thats not even touching the frame. The one in was talking about did not happen. But last time I checked 7 x 5 is ?

Im sure when the first 1911 were engraved the SAA guys cringed. But now look. You have to change with the times and location I live in South Texas 99% hispanics. if I engrave SAA here no one would buy, yes the internet is there can always sell those there. But in 30 years many of the older engravers will have moved onto greener pastures. And the majority of the people in the us will be hispanics. Not making this a racial issue, but the military, presidents and those that can see the change advertise or promote themselves in spanish. Just have to see the broader picture. I think ill do all types of firearms, to include SAA since there is a market now. If you guys would follow the new social medias you would see the thousands of modifications done to the new tactical weapons.

My engraved firearm would be a 1911. But if someone wants it, hey more power to them, Someone will always buy a SAA no doubt. But maybe the only guy doing tacticals is me, (im not, ive seen more and more) but if I was, that is a alot of work, for someone. Id rather to that than bracelets for extra income. (jewelry is just not my thing)

Im sure some here has engraved a tactical and took the green money and paid bills, they just wont admit it.

Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
In response to Dale Hatfield's commentary of plating plastics on automobiles, he is correct. . .sort of. Years back, I was going to accept a position in a New York machine shop that made aluminum 'branding irons' that applied the 'heat transfer' technique to chromed foil that would bond to the particular plastic part of the automobile. Essentially, it was 'ironing on' a piece of foil to plastic. You ever wonder why the chrome peels off of plastic? To do an ornate Glock, like the one photographed, and use the 'heat transfer' process would be nearly impossible to engrave a corresponding piece to 'iron on' the transfer. The next best thing is probably the plating technique I mentioned, or maybe someone is an expert gilder out there who needs some business?