Templates

myjeweller

I am considering the GRS Scroll design kit.. But is there anywhere I can buy intricate metal or plastic templates that have scrolls and patterns , where I can use the wax transfer method ???
Thanks Bernie Santen

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As the other thread will tell you, the templates are just to help you train yourself to draw the right kind of spirals to make nice scrolls. They're handy for doing quick layouts when you're working up ideas, and every now and then you'll find a time when they're actually useful in engraving.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I and Mike Dubber for two cut templates on flat stock (practice plates of appropriate size) and then use them to transfer using transfer wax. I do it for repeated pieces for the plantations logos and things like that. It also helps to see the design cut and limits mistakes or repeats them. I have thirty or forty in my box, I think Mike has hundreds. Fred

PS. I think they would be just as useful cut on plastic plate used in pantograph work. Never considered as I don't have such material laying around. FM

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
in the tip section i showed how to make your own pantograph templates. hand cut with a # 53 round graver. cut a good one about 2.75 ". from there, you can diamond drag "trace" the scroll down to many smaller sizes on thin gauge, transparent plastic. these would take a "charge" of transfer wax, and could be used for hundreds of transfers. if you have no pantograph, i could see to it that you got an entry level scroll pattern. btw ,even though i'll make one for you, i don't advise using them. no pm's------jayismonk450@gmail.com

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,

Thank you for the info, very useful to refresh my memory

Rball

I'm new to the forum, retired and I'm a beginning hobby engraver. I am really struggling to create a scroll design. I bought the GRS template kit and even with that my drawings are awful. Since I'm beginning, I'd love to learn some of the actual engraving techniques and cuts that I see on others' work. So far all I've done are some practice plates and I think I'll continue with those for some time. I'm beginning to wonder if I need a pantograph because transferring from laser prints has not worked very well. I also wonder if any of you draw your scrolls directly on the work piece or do you always draw it on paper and then transfer. I'm buying Sam's book and DVD on scroll design and scroll engraving. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I also wonder if any of you draw your scrolls directly on the work piece or do you always draw it on paper and then transfer. I'm buying Sam's book and DVD on scroll design and scroll engraving. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Funny that you ask, I for one never use templates, never draw on paper (unless my client pay for that part of the work) so I do not transfer either. I find easier and faster to draw on the piece I will engrave, additionally, I think that drawing directly on the part to engrave give you a better feeling for the its shape and its flow.

monk

Staff member
I and Mike Dubber for two cut templates on flat stock (practice plates of appropriate size) and then use them to transfer using transfer wax. I do it for repeated pieces for the plantations logos and things like that. It also helps to see the design cut and limits mistakes or repeats them. I have thirty or forty in my box, I think Mike has hundreds. Fred

PS. I think they would be just as useful cut on plastic plate used in pantograph work. Never considered as I don't have such material laying around. FM
yeah, fred. that would work nicely, esp on thin gauge .020 or so plastic. even thicker stuff would do the trick.
fred: i have scads of the stuff layin around. if you want some--- jayismonk450@gmail.com be sure to send yer address.

monk

Staff member
I'm new to the forum, retired and I'm a beginning hobby engraver. I am really struggling to create a scroll design. I bought the GRS template kit and even with that my drawings are awful. Since I'm beginning, I'd love to learn some of the actual engraving techniques and cuts that I see on others' work. So far all I've done are some practice plates and I think I'll continue with those for some time. I'm beginning to wonder if I need a pantograph because transferring from laser prints has not worked very well. I also wonder if any of you draw your scrolls directly on the work piece or do you always draw it on paper and then transfer. I'm buying Sam's book and DVD on scroll design and scroll engraving. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
forget the pantograph. i use one & a laser for commecial work. the pan†o is handy for repetitive work ( layouts)as a time saver. it's no replacement for developing drawing skills. direct drawing on the part is sometimes the only way to do it. horace greely once said, "go west, young man. go west". i say learn to draw young man, learn to draw.

monk

Staff member

fred: that would work. i have scads of the stuff lyin about. if you want some-- jayismonk450@gmail.com don't forget to send yer address.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I used the green templates sold by GRS once. They are not of much use except maybe to lay out a backbone. I found it necessary to keep making adjustments as I used them. I am of the opinion that they don't follow the golden mean. I wonder if any others have the same opinion.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Funny that you ask, I for one never use templates, never draw on paper (unless my client pay for that part of the work) so I do not transfer either. I find easier and faster to draw on the piece I will engrave, additionally, I think that drawing directly on the part to engrave give you a better feeling for the its shape and its flow.

I couldn't agree more!

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's my opinion that templates like those sold by GRS are really only useful to save time during the rough sketch period. (The GRS templates are a little off as well) They can also be a crutch. As an aid in learning to draw a proper scroll they may have a place but the sooner the better that you learn to do it on your own to fit the given constraints of a particular project.
I use a mix of laser transfer from hand drawn designs and drawing directly to the piece. 75 percent of the time it's the latter. But you must be confident in your scroll backbones to to this. That only comes with a lot of practice! Learn to enjoy the process and have fun.
layne

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I use templates when I can for circles and ovals and sweeping curves if possible, but draw everything else free hand on the surface I am engraving with #3 mech pencil. Here is an example.
"] [/EMAIL]
[EMAIL="[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img191/5589/lqps.jpg[/IMG]"] [/EMAIL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Sponsors