Meiji EMZ5 vs Leica A60 ?

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,
Has anyone compared these? or used/looked through both of them to be able to give an option as to which is better? More user friendly?
I know many have used the Meiji for awhile and recently I have been thinking of buying a new/lightly used microscope (my M3Z is damaged and would cost to much to repair) and like the looks of the A60. But there are a few Meiji emz5 out there at a very reasonable price point on fleabay.... any thoughts would be helpful. I am worried about the eBay Meijis being knockoffs too...

Donny

Last edited:

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
I have both and use both pretty much daily, I wish I had 2 Leica's, but both have their advantages and disadvantages. The main disadvantage of the Leica is it can be to easy to move on the arm, the optics are AMAZING, and the scope comes as a complete package. I am still working out how to attach video to the Leica, that being said I'm doing the same thing for the Meiji

The Meiji has a more substantial body the the Leica and on a good acrobat it doesn't move around on you to much, but it sounded like you were familiar with them so I don't need to say to much. Good luck making your decision K Frei

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
K Frei....So your Leica is on the articulating arm? If I buy the Leica it will be the boom arm for sure so that may be the answer I was looking for all summed up... I truly loved my M3Z. Even asked a fellow engraver if he'd sell me his. Parts are expensive to the point that its cheaper to buy a new Leica or sit and wait for high quality M3Z to surface on eBay and be within a few hundred dollars. Probably gonna break down and buy the Leica...now to find the best deal on one...

Donny

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
My advice is when buying a leica scope to go for the M series which are to professional series can't be compared with their A series. When you search for secondhand scopes you could also search for Wild Heerbrugg these guys made scope before leica and are making them for Leica now. Wild Heerbrugg is top quality and can be found at quite reasonable prices!

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Donny,

I originally started with the Meiji EMZ-5 scope and worked with it for about 7 years. My quest to find a better scope for my own use ended with the Leica A60F after I found a scope expert and tried almost 20 different scopes from cheap Chinese scopes up to the very expensive Leica M series and beyond. The best one I found which had the combination of optics and working distance and - especially - depth of field was the Leica A60.

In my experience with my Meiji scope the optics are clear in the center but start to blur just a little towards the edges. The Leica scope is clear edge to edge, top to bottom. The Meiji has eye tubes that enter at 45 degrees, the Leica at 38 degrees. I know 7 degrees doesn't sound like much up front, but after a couple of hours this difference does make an impact on comfort and neck fatigue. The Leica also has a depth of field that is much larger than the Meiji meaning you can see more in focus at the same time. This is important if you don't want to constantly keep adjusting the scope. It isn't a very big deal if all you do is flat surfaces that are very small, but if you work on anything 3-D like rings, bracelets, trophies, Motorcycle parts, etc. then the depth of field comes into play.

As for the best deal, if you find a better deal that I can confirm (link, print, etc.), then I will try to match it. And as far as service goes I'm the one answering my phone to make sure you are taken care of... on weekends... at night.... on holidays... and can make arrangements to be up in the middle of the night to speak with overseas clients which happens a lot too. = )

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The depth of field of the Leica is pretty amazing. It's also bright and clear and from my limited use with one on Blaine Lewis' bench at a trade show, I was very much impressed with it. The only con I could see is the working distance which is less than a Meiji. I was told there are other objectives available for it but I don't know what effect the different power objectives have on its excellent depth of field. I believe it comes with a 0.63x objective, which is what I used on my Zeiss scope for a long time and it was not a problem. I now use a 0.4x which gives me about 8" working distance which I really like.

I don't know if the M-series that Bram recommends has the "fusion optics" and huge depth of field that's the A60 has. Does anyone know?

Based on what I saw I see no reason not to use the A60.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The leica scopes are great. I don't have the A60 yet, I use an S4E. I'm Amazed at how bright and clear the optics are.

I've tried Tira's A60 and its a very nice scope. Id like to get one for its DOF. That's my biggest complaint with the S4E. When I have the money, I'm planning on getting one from Tira.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are only 2 scopes currently on the market that have the Fusion Optics - the Leica A60 and the Leica M205C. All the rest of the M series Leicas as well as all their other scopes do not have it. Other companies don't have it due to its recent patent.

The Leica M205C is a very expensive scope used for high end research. It's one of the scopes I tried as well as the M50, M60, and M80. The M205C has a price range starting at around $12000 and goes up to about $18000 depending on the ergonomics you choose, etc. The entire M series of scopes is modular and is completely customizable for each person/situation. I have access to the entire Leica line and can get them, but they do not easily fit into a "package" for ordering due to their extensive options.

Also the Leica M205C is a very large and heavy scope. It needs a very large boom stand and will not work on a swing arm stand at all.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

The objectives for the Leica A60 scopes have all the particulars on my site, but to make it easy - here are the working distances:

120mm - 4.72" - Leica A60 with no objective
150mm - 5.90" - w/ .75x
185mm - 7.28" - w/ .63x
250mm - 9.84" - w/ .50x

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Donny,

I too was in the market for a scope over a year ago. I tried many scopes out and did much research, and always came back to the Leica A60.
My main objects are firearms to engrave, and deal with all kinds of angles and the Leica gives me plenty of room to work, while still being able to see my subject clearly.

The other great thing is it is a complete package stand and light come with and both are excellent. Not a better scope out there for your money. Plus the one on one service that Tara gives all her clients is outstanding.

Good luck with your decision, ZZ

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used both and the Leica wins hands down. Tira sat me down with one during the FEGA convention last year and while doing a little engraving, she stopped me and placed a quarter on it's edge in my field of view. The top edge of the quarter was in perfect focus as was the engraving 1 inch below it. I had just finished up a large job job and I loosely figured I could have saved 15percent or more in time spent refocusing. On a $15000 job, that comes to $2250. And that doesn't even take into account the exceptionally clear optics, great angle on the eyepieces, and excellent light ring.
Considering the Meiji and the Leica cost almost the same, it's a no brainer for me. So much so that I've started engraving Spiderco knives on spec in my spare time and I'm using the profits to save for the Leica. Just reading this thread has me excited about switching.
Layne

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I have both at the bench and the Meiji never gets used any more. Well I shouldn't say it that way my daughter used the meiji to take out a sliver on her hand will I was busy. The Leica is great to use no going back

Eric

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've owned 5 scopes and have settled on this Leica. Compared to the Meiji, it is brighter and has the best depth of field on the market, which is why I bought it. I'm not crazy about the head angle for the eyepieces and the boom on the chinese copy of a Meiji is better and more stable than the Leica especially due to the fact that you turn a knob to lengthen the boom on the Omano rather than loosen a lock collar and try to slide the boom out as on the Leica. In the scope world at our price points and particular uses for them, I'd have either this Leica or a Zeiss.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I will be looking into a A60S purchase. :thumbsup:

Donny

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Donny
Sorry to jump in here your mail box is full tried to send message and that's what I was told couldn't send ref books.
Ray

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"¨ Avoid - Leica SZ-6, GZ-6, all new Leica GZ models sometimes marketed under the GIA name. The flat cam design fails to provide accurate tracking left to right. The gears also fail after a very short period of use."

"¨ Buy – Genuine Meiji new or old EMZ series, EMT series and EMX series. Be careful of look alikes such as the ScienscopeTM EM or XTL series. All genuine Meiji models will have the Meiji name and symbol on them."

Quote on another post in the tips archive about which scopes to buy and which to avoid. Never used either myself so have no opinion either way -Fred

mrthe

I have a Leica SZ-6 and from my point of view is a really nice scope i disagree in this point with the post "scope to buy or avoid" GZ models hsve plastic gears that was the problem but the SZ 6 not.

Latest posts

Sponsors