Homemade silent compressor

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
I happened upon a youtube channel a few days ago, opperated by a brit calling himself poroldchap. In this particular video he talks about his homemade compressor, and where he got the parts to build one. May bring some of you an idea or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIcDT8SBqDk

I do recomend you watch a few of his videos, and if you do, remember that, in England, the word "waffle" can also mean talking about all and nothing...

clocksdr

homemade compressor

This is really a neat idea and very silent. I'm not a refrigeration man but I believe the refrigerant acts as an oil for the compressor in these closed systems. Not sure what that would do to an air engraver that needs dry air. Love to hear from someone that has tried this for air engravers or a refrigeration expert. Imagine only hearing the hum of a refrigerator instead of the startling "Popeta - Popeta - Popeta" that mine makes while engraving. :shock:

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
clocksdr, that is a valid point, of course, so I guess you'll need an airfilter with it if you were to use it for engraving.

jeness

Thanks for the link, I am in the process of making a similar one. Silent compressors are pricey and hard to come by here, so I don't really have any other choice than to make my own.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
all else failing, get a long hose and situate the compressor out of "ear shot". i was given a brand new jun-air unit from a dentist friend. prior to the jun air, every few minutes i'd jump out of my seat when the old, noisy one would start up.since you've already started making one, there's every reason to complete the project. in the meantime, just get an xtra hose and place the noisy one around a corner wall or whatever. good luck.

Lane

I didn't watch it, but for example a refrigerator compressor circulates some of the oil through the whole refrigeration loop. What that means is over time you will have to add some oil to the compressor, just like with a silent air. A refrigerator compressor is extremely similar to a silentair. I will stick to retail air compressors even though I can get refrigerator compressors wholesale or even free at the salvage yard.

Latest posts

Sponsors