Just a reminder (and a lesson relearned)

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Recently, I was having a problem with light rust forming on some projects.
I figured, "Ok---it's the summer and humidity just bumps up a bit."
I made sure the dehumidifiers were working properly, and I doubled my efforts to wipe down and oil those "In the white" projects.
Still, the problem persisted.
I snooped around and sure enough, one of the caps on the muratic acid bottle was cracked AND I found a bottle of "Cold Blue" solution that the cap was just set on.
I no longer keep the acids (muratic, nitric, phosphoric) in the shop and everytime I see the cold blue bottle, it gets inspected.
Just something to consider.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nothing worse than sitting down in the morning to find all your tools flash rusted and a bottle of acid left open on the bench top. You don't make that mistake more than 3 times.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, lets just say that I have a patina on everything that can have a patina.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I put my 7% iodine in my big shoeing cabinet. After a couple of days of bumpy ranch roads the cap loosened enough to leak the vapors. OUILA' ! Instant rusted tools !
Once was enough !

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brain,I was using muratic acid to put strips on a muzzeloader stock and left the cap off the jug and rusted everything in my shop,thank for bringing this up. J.J.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had the same experience once but it just rusted a few tools.

My worst experience was with a quart can of shellac. I always store paint upside down so the scum form in the bottom. I had this can of shellac in the corner of my bench and had forgotten about it. Used to put screws and small bits on it when building a gun. It sat for a couple of years. Came into the shop one morning and was hit with that smell. I guess it had gotten hotter the previous day than ever before, because the vapor pressure blew the lid off the can. It ran all over my bench and down on to the floor. Of course the bench was loaded with files, chisels, etc. Not so easy to clean up as rust is.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
I rusted a bunch of stuff on the bench . By soaking some practice plates in toilet bowl cleaner.