making jump rings

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Awww, man... that'll take all the fun out of it! No blood, no emergency room visits...

There are 3 ways you can cut 'em without cuttin' yourself - that I know of.

One is yours with the ring cutting jig. One is using the slitting saw with a JumpRinger style fixture.

Anyone wanna guess the third one?

Brain

Have your wife saw them!

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bahahahaha. Mine could do that right after she brought my meal out to the field.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
haraga-- if you quit taking your meds, by the time your machine arrives, you'll forget why you bought it.
i think brian freezes his coils in ice, then cuts them real fast !

monk

Staff member
the one you forgot to buy ! see, i told you never quit meds, never quit drinking. the world was a great place, but then i gave up the sauce, and now just look how things turned out !

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
OK, Leonard, you don't need to know this anyway... you have little use for jump rings - unless you are making little collars for your trained bees?

No, Monk - I use ice for an entirely different technique - not jump rings.

My favorite method involves 1.5mm to 6mm wooden dowels.

I acquired a supply made in a Mexico craft shop, and then found more at a hobby shop up here in the USA.

One of the sizes of jump rings that we used/use a lot happens to fit on the bamboo shish kebab skewers which are my favorites.

The tiniest ones are done on round wooden toothpicks.

I still make the coil on a steel mandrel.

Then just push the coil onto the right size dowel, skewer or toothpick. Cut at an angle. Pull off the cut rings as you go.

Use a length that gives you something to hold onto - without slicing your fingers.

Cut right through the rings and the wood. The wood supports and keeps the rings in line.

This method works well with both the jewelers saw and the thinnest separating discs/slitting saws.

Brian

Oh yeah, most plastic rod does not work well. Melts and freezes to the jewelers saw blades. We tried that long ago...

Last edited:

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Now you guys come up with jump rings..... could have had more fun doing those grape earrings..... making a disk punch ( had that one made already) is boring in comparison ;)

Back to my hutch ;)

Peter

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Plowing is over Peter. Now I am trying to get the bees treated and wrapped up for winter. The wind is not helping.

monk

Staff member
brian: i'm gonna find dowels near to the rings i make. will adjust a mandrel to match the wood dowel. brilliant idea. still wondering about the ice ! though.

monk

Staff member
ok, i finally came out of the closet. no, not that one. i found a wood vise i had bought years ago at a woodcarving bash. so i invented a clamp to hold the ring coil. youall better copy this quick, as i may patent the fool thing.

Attachments

• coil clamp.JPG
    coil clamp.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 58

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, I made a set of clamps that look almost identical that one for my wife years ago. She got in to making chain maille about 8 years ago. She took a class from someone in New Mexico, after watching him make the jump rings, I made him couple of the clamps and some more for my wife and her friends that took the class. I did add a small leather hinge at the bottom so they had to "lose" both sides of the clamp.

The other part was the wood "drill chuck" that I set up using transfer punches to wrap the wire on. They could wrap and cut a bunch with almost no effort, then came the cutting part. That's when I left the building, I wasn't cutting all of those jump rings for them. The drill chuck was a cheap drill chuck that screwed on to a bolt, that was stuck through a piece of 2x4 with a handle on the bolt head end. They could wrap wire coils to their hearts content.

monk

Staff member
dogcatcher: the chain mail stuff is fascinating to me. back in the dark ages, i used to make genuine appearing medieval battle weapons. a gent contacted me, he made body armor made much as it was made centuries ago. i cant recall the gents name, but some of his efforts were worn in movies. it was a treat to watch this man, as he was passionate about his work. all his equipment was homebrew stuff, except for his anvil and saw. he had a bandsaw fitted with linked files of different types of cuts. the dang saw was noisy as hell, but could shape steel with great precision. he was maybe 70 yo about 40 years ago. i think he was from the johnstown, pa area. do you have any fotos of the chain mail stuff. love to see it if you do.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, this was about 10 years ago, she and her friends made bracelets, I will see if she has any photos or any of them left. I doubt if she has any, that crazy episode did not last very long. Even the place they took the class at is gone, it was bead store in old town Alamogordo, NM, the last time we went by the place it was a resale clothing store.

Sponsors