I'm now using an LED ring light

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member

I've always been a fluorescent ring light guy, and it's still is my preference, but when I added a 0.4x objective to my scope the increased working distance exceeded the power of my fluorescent light. In other words, not enough light was reaching my work. The Inverse-Square Law dictates that a small increase in distance between the light source and the subject equates to a huge reduction in the amount light hitting the subject.

The O.C. White Micro Lite ring light is a very high output LED that's dimmable. I've experimented with diffusers but haven't really found anything that works to suit me. In the mean time I've gotten used to it and it's performing well. What I don't like is the pinpoints of light that reflect back from polished metal which can be painfully bright.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i used to have one of those ring lights with the external power & light source and the big fiber optic cable. it had a continuous fine ribbon of light all the way around the ring. the quality & quantity of light was fantastic, but when it lined up just right, or i should say, wrong, the reflections were flippin' blinding! i finally sold it.

i'm working on making myself a custom LED fixture to solve all these issues. i kinda doubt it will be anything that will be readily adaptable to general use, but i'll probably post pics whenever it's finished.

Sam

Staff member
My biggest complaint with LED are pinpoints of light that reflect back at me. Fluorescent is much smoother. When I diffuse the LED it dims it too much. I think that part of the secret to good diffusion is 2 layers like in a softbox, but 2 layers reduces the intensity quite a bit.

The Leica scope with built-in LED has an interesting plastic diffuser.

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
I also replaced my fluorescent ring light with an LED ring light some months back, but, I also use clip-on adjustable reading lamps, attached to my scope stand, with soft white LED bulbs in them. I found that by turning off my ring light, whether LED or florescent, and just using my reading lights I could see my pencil drawn artwork much clearer. I now only use my ring light for background removal and shading of the elements and use the reading lights for drawing and primary cuts. This seems to work best for me.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
I use LED as well with an adjustible output so I can tone it down if I get the Spot Light effect as I call it. I would like to ask "why" a .4x objective?....how much working distance do you settle at with a .4x? And is that on your Stemi or which scope?

Donny

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think my Led ring are 88 total (adjustable strength), I don't see the pin points per say, but when the metal is to bright I do see glare, so I just dab it with modeling clay, problem solved.

like mentioned before could be that you only have 10 led and that single point has to work harder and thus is seen more. Just a thought?

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Sam,
I use LED as well with an adjustible output so I can tone it down if I get the Spot Light effect as I call it. I would like to ask "why" a .4x objective?....how much working distance do you settle at with a .4x? And is that on your Stemi or which scope?

Donny

The 0.4x gives me about 8" of working distance on my Zeiss Stemi scope. Very nice indeed.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos already covered my method of dealing with too much glare. Sam, you should try this stuff called 'Transfer Wax' - I think you'll like it. :rolleyes:

An IKEA store opened here in KC and on our first trip there I remembered the thread here about they're little clamp on LED task lamps so I bought a pair. They are indeed great side lights and adding them to my ring light has just been tremendous. I've actually had a few bits where I wound up turning off the ring light to exaggerate the side light effect even more.

At $15 each those little lights are nice. Let me go see if I can find them on the IKEA site....
Here it is in black

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Tira sells the leica light seperatley http://www.engraver.com/leica-a60-ring-light/

I switched years ago to a fiber optic ring light for my Zeiss scopes. It solved all of the issues you have talked about Sam. I have a.04 objective as well and the fiber optic gives me plenty of light at that distance. I paid 300 dollars for it. the replacement bulbs are 12 dollars each they last as long as two years and sometimes they seem to burn out in a few weeks . Overall over the last last 8 years I have used 3 bulbs.

I use the Leica light wit my A 60 and it's a great light the diffuser doesn't allow the spots and give plenty of light it has 10 intensity settings.

Chris

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using an LED ring light for sometime too, and not really noticed any pin pointing either.

However, I've been playing about with video through my trinoc over the last couple of days, and found the light 'glaring' a little too much, even though it's dimmable. My semi-solution was to cut a ring (or two) of tracing paper and stuck it to the light.
Might not be high tech, but it did seem to improve a bit. :)

Jo

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Chris. I wasn't aware that the Leica ring light was available separately, or I'd forgotten that it was. In the limited time I've spent with that scope at shows, I think its diffuser works really well.

Jo and others: Here's what I mean by the pinpoints of light from the LED as compared to fluorescent. I should add that the LED in this photo has a simple paper diffuser on it and the brightness of the light reflections is even more intense without it.

LED-fluorescent.jpg

mrthe

I had the same problem when i was using led light, is not my favourite light by the way if i don't remember bad i have solved the pin point with tiny squares of magic tape in each led

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Paolo,

Carlos says <"I think my Led ring are 88 total (adjustable strength)">

So you covered 64 (or 88?) individual bulbs with one square of tape over each one?

That's some pretty serious dedication... even if your light only has a dozen or so!

Brian

Last edited:

mrthe

Brian, mine had less leds, but yes i do.
A part jewelery and engraving i'm a sculptor and a Mosaicist too.
My city have a great mosaic tradiction, i can assure you that after make mosaics large 2x4 meters with tiny marble ans glass squares pieced ( the biggest one are maybe 1x1.5 cm) a work like this don't require too much dedication hehe

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Does this mean we can expect some instructional video's of your hand Jo??? Would like it... :thumbsup:

LOL...Sorry Willem, no instructional videos in the offing I'm afraid.
I've just been invited to attend an evening event in November, so the plan is to have a DVD montage of work, going on in the background. ;)

Jo

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Number of LEDs?

IMO I think with LEDs it's the number of them that helps reduce the pinpointing. I use one that has (I think) 144 of them. In the pics you can see each one individually but I've never noticed pinpointing while working on anything, I will say my average working area is usually very small though. On mine I can adjust brightness and also control each "quarter" of the circle/light individually. I use a .5 lens with about 6.5"-7" working distance and have never had to use full brightness. For the best reflection I've found with scrim that I like to use/turn on all 4 quarters but with bulino I only use the top/farthest from me quarter.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 66

Latest posts

Sponsors