My 3D printer tool

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Seeing the versatility of the 3-D printer herein, this gives me a 'lightbulb went off' idea of a ringholder, unlike any other, that may be of interest to the fraternity. The printers now can do metals, as well as various plastics. Next year, we have a Showcase for Commerce annual event, that should enable me to talk with the various 'heads' who've had these printers on demo there at past shows. Manufacturers and military contractors show up at such events, and the price will undoubtedly come down on these wonder toys. Now, I just have to find the cerebral HP, and the $$$, to get into one of these endeavors. . .computers were never my forte. If worse gets to worse, there's always the milling machine and digital readout, new-in-box. We'll see.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,Leonardo.

Yes, I tried a few times when I was using the ABS resin.
ABS resin is very effective in acetone.
but, PLA resin is not valid acetone.

Thanks for your answer Akihiro. Yes, I know that, but what the reason to change from using ABS to PLA? I know that PLA is biodegradable so it is more environmental friendly but do you have any other advantage?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve

I am sorry.
I do not have anywhere UP the stl data ...

That's ok. I actually already have an inside ring holder so it's just a matter of interest for me.

For everyone else: the 3D printers are crossing over into the 'Consumer' level. Dremel has one coming out (for Christmas, I think) that's made for PLA. I use an UP! Mini that does do PLA but works best with ABS.

For metal the best thing are the new CNC mills made to be similar 'magic boxes'. They're just hitting the market so all I really know about them is that the are hitting the market. With them you carve your new part out of a block instead of building it up in layers. More strength but other issues.

Latest posts

Sponsors