Critique Request Inlay knife design

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
NO AS IS just turn the whole dagger 180 deg the normal way to view a dagger or knife is handle up point down you will find it puts a different view on the whole design.
Ray

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Jan that's the southern hemisphere thing Ha! Now it's the right way up start looking at the balance flowers leaves etc but I think your getting much closer to a nice design and balance sometimes leave it 24hrs and look again with fresh eyes.
Ray

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Jan. I like all the drawings you have put up, personally your first I like best. The open simple sweeping flow of it makes it beautiful. I'm sure there are some flaws to be pointed out but I don't know about all that... I just like it. Like all your work. Keep at it, I really look forward to seeing this finished. I have just started playing with titanium anodizing too. Are you going to sculpt the silver inlay so it stands up or have it sanded flush to the metal? Are you making the knife too or do you have someone in mind to make it for you?

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the compliments!
I will sand the inlays flush with the titanium and add fine line shading to the flowers and leaves.
I will make the knife myself. This will be the 3rd knife I have ever made. Now to hunt for that very special piece of Damascus steel. Maybe I will give Bertie Rietveld a call and ask him if he has any available for sale.. Bertie is a world renowned knife maker as well as the founder member of the Knife making Guild of South Africa.
My father used to make knives for a while. Nothing as intricate as this though. They were quite basic in appearance with no engraving anywhere.

Hey Jan. I like all the drawings you have put up, personally your first I like best. The open simple sweeping flow of it makes it beautiful. I'm sure there are some flaws to be pointed out but I don't know about all that... I just like it. Like all your work. Keep at it, I really look forward to seeing this finished. I have just started playing with titanium anodizing too. Are you going to sculpt the silver inlay so it stands up or have it sanded flush to the metal? Are you making the knife too or do you have someone in mind to make it for you?

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the compliments!
I will sand the inlays flush with the titanium and add fine line shading to the flowers and leaves.
I will make the knife myself. This will be the 3rd knife I have ever made. Now to hunt for that very special piece of Damascus steel. Maybe I will give Bertie Rietveld a call and ask him if he has any available for sale.. Bertie is a world renowned knife maker as well as the founder member of the Knife making Guild of South Africa.
My father used to make knives for a while. Nothing as intricate as this though. They were quite basic in appearance with no engraving anywhere.

Actually I think I engraved one of his knife, I may have a picture somewhere

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mike! I will still tweek the flowers a bit especially the direction of some of the flowers and the balance of flowers in the design. I have started experimenting with the silver inlay and the anodising. The first few attempts failed miserably due to the silver getting eroded due to the anodising bath, but I am starting to see some results after several experiments. Not perfect yet, but I will get it right very soon!
Wow. I suggested three flowers and you gave me a whole bouquet! I like it.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Jan, have you finished the knife? I would like to see photos.

I have not started yet. I am waiting for some special Damascus that I orderd for this project. I will only get the steel early next year. Then I can finally start with the dagger.

Just go, you'll find what you need in your journey, looks good either way.

Saludos,
Carlos

Thanks! I plan to jump in the deep end and swim!

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
Use Argentium sterling silver as the fine silver will oxidize and since the titanium is anodized you will not be able to polish the inlays.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have not started yet. I am waiting for some special Damascus that I orderd for this project. I will only get the steel early next year. Then I can finally start with the dagger.

Thanks! I plan to jump in the deep end and swim!

Jan,

Could you tell me where did you order special Damascus, I am looking for dagger as well and I cannot find source, please?
You can send me PM if you want, please

Thank you for advance

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
I have a friend here in South Africa that has a big 20 tonne hydraulic press and a gas forge that makes Damascus steel on weekends. He sells some billets from time to time, but they usually sell even before he finishes them! I also took a Damascus making course from him and will start making my own Damascus billets for my knives this year. My first billet is halfway finished and will have 264 layers in a ladder pattern.

Latest posts

Sponsors