New scope stand

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all just finished building my new microscope stand wanted something a little solid for a new bench I am planning as you will see it's just clamped to desk at the moment hope you like it.
If anyone want's a copy of the drawings to build your own they detail and dimensioned drawings are free you can have a copy.
For those of you in the USA I would prefer to send someone a copy and they past them on to other members please PM me and a contact or email.
The drawings are in DWG format so you will need something like VOLO VIEW or similar to open.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Well done Ray. I have priced up the few stands that are available here in the UK and they are massively overpriced in my opinion. Most are around the £500 mark. Yours looks great but you could have put full coverage engraving on that baseplate!;)

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
phil in Germany it´s the same it´s cheaper to import one from US inclouded taxes and shipping than buy it from a seller here

The GRS acrobat stand was 750€ (949$) at the seller in Germany GRS Homepage 548$ =432€ + shipping and taxes

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Nice job of machining Rayf24. Just as a suggestion , you might want to machine a collar with set screw to install under the block on the main vertical post. Since your scope will be fixed to your benchtop, you would be able to set the collar to the proper height and if you wanted to swing the scope out of the way, just loosen the lock lever move it and get it back to the original height, quite easily. I only mention this because my scope is mounted to a solid cast base and the horizontal bar has two heavy counter weights on it. The whole thing is quite heavy. Without the collar I would have to lift the scope, horizontal bar and counter weights and tighten the lever. Then sit down and check the height and then do it all again if it is too high or too low. I guess laziness is the mother of invention. Thanks for posting this and for generously making the plans available to the engraving community.
Cheers
Don

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes,yes, yes ! i used a solid block of pvc to do just what mr hicks advised. far easier to swing out of the way, than to lift all that weight. i seldom have to move my scope, but is nice when i do.
insadinkally, the job you show there is just very nice. should serve you well for a long time. you (or at least i would) go to a junk yard and get a 2 or 3" thick steel or cast iron disk of suitable size, and bolt it to the base you already have. i have a "thing" about clamps, they always seem to get in my way.
my scope base is permanently attached to my scope cart, and wont ever tilt over.
:biggrin:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Don
The collar that you have mentioned is made I just hadn't put it on when I did the photo and yes its there for just that reason to swing it out of the way but well spotted .
as for the counter weight the is so solid its not required.
Ray

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Phil
Yes scope stands are way over priced here in uk thats why I made this one cost me about £40 in materials I will be making another one for my nikon scope as well if you need one let me know .
Ray

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for that kind offer Ray. I may be getting a second scope so could be in the market for an extra stand soon. All the best to you and yours.