Christmas in October

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
OK, so you are an obsessed fanatic. Most of us on here are bent in some unusual way.

Leonard for example - suffers from anatidaephobia... but he deals with it quite well when he stays on Dr. Kelloggs yogurt regimen. It's the days when he forgets to do it that can be problematic.

Back to the very basics. Here's a suggestion. Use that pencil and pad every day for 30 days. Half an hour, an hour whatever works for you. But don't miss a day. Post the results every coupla days for critique. (don't pay any attention to Leonard on his "off" days)

I guarantee you that focussing on one single simple skill for a month will produce some pretty amazing results.

Brian

If the page of drawings you posted are from 2013, where are some to compare from 2014? We're 10 months into it. Almost over...

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sure enough Brian is right. It all started with that damned duck on the insurance commercial so I thought. Turns out it all started when I was a young lad and I brought home a duck from a catch and keep contest at the rodeo.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

Dont know how this went from tools to drawing, but your right my drawings need to go to the next level, that's why I , bought, Ron's book, after im done reading it, ill start to practice whats in his book, in conjunction with it ill probably refer back to Lee's book that I also bought and work from there to include the shading, and definitely take your advice at least 30 min a day for sure. Im dedicated to this!

I can now see what I could not see when I started, overlapping, folds, complexity, shadding, its so exciting!

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have, but I find my self drawing more and more on the piece itself as in the knife im still working on and on the computer.

Saludos,

Carlos

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hahah forgive me for using technology for drawing. I'll start a fire get some charcoal and draw on the cave walls. Drawing is drawing no matter how you try to analyze it. You don't seem to be getting it, I'm NOT disagreeing with you, I need more drawing practice, that's why I bought the book.
Forgive me for not doing it how you did it.

Over and out.

Saludos,

Carlos

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos,

You bought a book, in fact two of them. (Lee's and Ron's)

Both on drawing by hand... with pencils? Why?

If you wanna use the technology, then I believe Arnaud did some videos on how to use it. Maybe Sam too? Or maybe that was the one on lettering?

There are tons of Illustrator classes online and off. (I assume you have Illustrator, since it's admittedly one of the best "tools"?)

I myself am slowly working my way into it.

It too, has some disadvantages... (besides what seems to me to be a long long learning curve)

For instance, this morning I needed an oval to frame a space on a moneyclip.

Eventually, when the store sells it - a monogram will go there.

Had I gotten up from the bench, booted the program, drawn the oval, sized the oval, printed out the oval, carried it back to the bench and transferred it - how much time would that take?

The reality was that I reached over into a pile of templates, picked the one I needed, scribed it, drew a coupla little flourishes on it and cut it.

Never left the bench and probably did all of that in a quarter of the time the technology would've taken. (Oh, sh*t! Now yer gonna have to go buy some sets of templates... sorry!)

Brian

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not everyone gets the the message Brian, just so long as their happy playing.

Chris what message is that? was there a secrtly encoded message? dont have my decoder ring? can you help me out.

Did you read the replies? If I dont feel like drawing on paper is my thing, but im drawing nonetheless, drawing is the key word we should focus on and is what Brian has been saying, and thats what im doing, drawing dont worry what my medium is, no one here pays my bills. If I want to spend money drawing and ruining knives is my thing. But again dont read between the lines. Im drawing and need more practice as Brian stated, and thats exactly what im gonna do.

Dont forget, much love to you guys, honestly.

Saludos,

Carlos

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
¡Hola Carlos!

In 2011 I had the opportunity of doing a visit to Gianfranco Pedersoli at the time of a tour in Brescia, Italy. He has a little studio with a lot of natural light entering through the window and you feel yourself in a really nice and cozy place. He has a narrow bench fixed to the wall under that window and I was surprised for the few tools he use to do so wonderful works of art. He had three or four burins, a vise, a loupe and a stone for sharpening... that's all. It was the same, the "lack" of tools, at the time of visiting other master engravers as Firmo and Francesca Fracassi, Mario Terzi, and some more.

Although I can understand you because I am a tools addict and love to have every tool I find over there, it is a fact that you do not need much of them to produce the more outstanding marvels of engravings you can see anywhere.

Keep studing and practicing and then put all that nice stuff to good use!

¡Cordiales saludos!
Leonardo

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
¡Hola Carlos!

In 2013 I had the opportunity of doing a visit to Gianfranco Pedersoli at the time of a tour in Brescia, Italy. He has a little studio with a lot of natural light entering through the window and you feel yourself in a really nice and cozy place. He has a narrow bench fixed to the wall under that window and I was surprised for the few tools he use to do so wonderful works of art.

Although I can understand you because I am a tools addict and love to have every tool I find over there, it is a fact that you do not need much of them to produce the more outstanding marvels of engravings you can see anywhere.

Keep studing and practicing and then put all that nice stuff to good use!

¡Cordiales saludos!
Leonardo

Leo,

Gracias es todo, práctica y más práctica, lo lograre gracias.

Brian, I checked rhe cover is says advanced drawing, could not find the pencil part you mentioned. I do use illustrator, round templtes I've used and drew by hand, exactly like you just mentioned and what ive been emphasizing directly on the piece, thanks for confirming that.

Saludos,

Carlos

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK then.

Put up the Illustrator drawings you've done and teach ME something!

Like how to do it faster! I find it agonizingly slow at the moment - compared to a simple pencil/eraser combo.

B.

Sorry about mentioning the oval templates. Seems like every post just costs you more money...

Last edited:

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Estoy seguro que lo lograrás Carlos. La voluntad es muy importante para alcanzar el éxito en artes como esta en la que la práctica es fundamental.
Si me permites una sugerencia, trata de mejorar la forma de los scrolls, que no tengan partes aplanadas o quiebres. También te diría que el estilo de vaciado que se usa en el scroll Inglés no queda bien en scrolls de tamaño grande. Es mejor utilizar la hojas... es solo mi modesta opinión.

Adelante!!!
Leonardo

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Estoy seguro que lo lograrás Carlos. La voluntad es muy importante para alcanzar el éxito en artes como esta en la que la práctica es fundamental.
Si me permites una sugerencia, trata de mejorar la forma de los scrolls, que no tengan partes aplanadas o quiebres. También te diría que el estilo de vaciado que se usa en el scroll Inglés no queda bien en scrolls de tamaño grande. Es mejor utilizar la hojas... es solo mi modesta opinión.

Adelante!!!
Leonardo

Leo, notado en los ingleses mas chicos, y mas redondos gracias.

Brian,

its already been proven look at Arnouds drawings on illustrator, ive got to draw some more (tons more), like you recommended, just might not always be on paper, before I can show you. But dont forget to check out Arnouds illustrator work its really good. Brian, relax dont get all bent out of shape, im drawing, read slowly,

Drawing like YOU recommended.

And buying tools to make my life easier consider it done, sounds like a good time, would have stopped at a hammer and nail, if wanted to not spend.

Don't know how long it will take, but I'll show you alright, that I will succeed in getting better, how good only time will tell, many that started of when I did I have not seen anymore, faded away.

Please read again..... Your advice is noted, and will be put into practice.

again

I Will Practice My drawing, what I've been telling you from the start.

Don't know what your going to reply next, but im going to look for the starting time of the baseball game but I'll be practicing my drawing.

Saludos,

Carlos

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, Remember that Brain has taught more metal artist, in the various forms than the rest of the teachers combined. Two schools running full time for years. All aspects of any art start with the pencil, even anima. Fred

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, Remember that Brain has taught more metal artist, in the various forms than the rest of the teachers combined. Two schools running full time for years. All aspects of any art start with the pencil, even anima. Fred

Fred,

true so true, I totally agree. ive said it over and over, just like every type pneumatic machine has its different advantages so does the different mediums of drawing, that's all, im going to practice just like he recommends, I'm just going to practice drawing on diffrent mediums and different ways, to gain the advantage from all, when it calls for drawing directly on the piece I can do it, when I need to design on the computer I can do it and at times it is better, and when I need to draw with pencil I can do that also.

I just think he can't understsnd theres more than one way to draw.

But again becsuse this is getting very redundant, I will practice my drawing, I have to, no other way to get better just like he mentioned.

Saludos,

Carlos

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm a tool junkie, too. I highly recommend getting a similar kit and filling its pages.

drawing_tools_2.jpg

drawing_tools_1.jpg