Critique Request scroll and shading practice

colinskelly

HI all. It's been sine time sinceI posted here. I thought I'd show done of the practice I've been doing in preparation for a class I'm talking with Sam in December. I can't wait!
Any critiques would be welcome.
Thanks Colin

Attachments

• 20141022_084623.jpg
    20141022_084623.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 296

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Colin, I`m not an engraver but I have been reading the forum for 6 years :)eek:).

I diagnose Newb`s disease.
It`s basically running before you can walk.

You have the right idea & potential, but need to "learn to see" certain details & maybe work on a single scroll first as opposed to a whole design.
Get Sam`s DVD & let the info sink in. :tiphat:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
To me, Sam's DVD is not as detailed as Lee's set.

That`s the point.

I have both also, thing is..it`s easier to stay focused without being distracted by extra stuff you don`t need yet.
Get Lee`s abit later when you are ready to expand.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I also recommend Lee's set. It's very well done and contains a ton of great info.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, in my opinion most of us struggled or still do with the same things. And it ain't something that you can solve by a good critique.
In fact you probably already know where and how it could be better next time, and so on an so on.
Remember, it is all a matter of practice starting with simple things, then raising the bar when you are ready for the next step

good luck! :biggrin:
arnaud

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i cant comment on lees' dvd, as i don't have it. however, i do have his book. i must say if you have difficulty designing, his book takes the otherwise, seemingly complex scroll design to the elemental level. showing the precious few cuts (shapes) that combine to produce great work... very easy reading, sort of like he's right there holding your hand. one thing's for sure, your work shows a commitment that will serve you well in your pursuits.

Latest posts

Sponsors