Help, please: I need someone to make a Wedding Ring.

minnesotaman

Hello everyone,
I love the craftsmanship and skill on this forum. I'm getting married in April 2015. I designed this ring and would like one of you highly qualified engravers to produce it and give me some feedback on my design.

Some specs:
ring-plat.
center stone-white sapphire
side stones-diamond
size-6 ring-profile.jpg ring-top.jpg

Please let me know what you guys think.

Any feed back will help me.

I live in a small town in Minnesota and no one around here is qualified to produce something like this.

Thanks

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member

Have one sitting here in my desk sorta like that we did for a lady. Wore it for about a month an decided she wanted a diamond twice as big

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello everyone,
I love the craftsmanship and skill on this forum. I'm getting married in April 2015. I designed this ring and would like one of you highly qualified engravers to produce it and give me some feedback on my design.

Some specs:
ring-plat.
center stone-white sapphire
side stones-diamond
size-6 View attachment 30914 View attachment 30915

Please let me know what you guys think.

Any feed back will help me.

I live in a small town in Minnesota and no one around here is qualified to produce something like this.

Thanks

I would suggest you go with a Moissanite instead of a white sapphire for a stunning look in a diamond sustitute. You can read about them here: http://www.moissanite.com/

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Doc,

I've not been much impressed by moissanite over the years... but yer entitled to yer opinion. (and possibly it's improved? Can't really remember the last time one crossed my bench)

Usually the plan is to replace the center stone down the road with diamond. If that's the case, better to put the most money into higher quality side stones at this point - to match the higher quality center stone down the road...

Brian

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc,

I've not been much impressed by moissanite over the years... but yer entitled to yer opinion. (and possibly it's improved? Can't really remember the last time one crossed my bench)

Usually the plan is to replace the center stone down the road with diamond. If that's the case, better to put the most money into higher quality side stones at this point - to match the higher quality center stone down the road...

Brian

I agree. Go with some nice VS G-H small side stones. But, for a nice diamond substitute... a person can do much better than a white sapphire. Even a CZ would be better in my opinion. I've sold several nice Moissanites through the years. In fact my own son has opted for one for his second marriage. I'm impressed with them. Of course, with a good eye and comparison stones a gemologist can see the ever so slight greenish color but most people can't and never will. Anyway, just my humble opinion.

minnesotaman

Wow, thanks for the quick feedback. Lots of great comments.
To get to a few specifics:
The center stone should be roughly 3kts and round around 9mm. (I was wondering about mixing sapphire and diamonds)Would the color/fire match be impossible? Would the sapphire just look dull against the diamonds?
Also, from a production standpoint, would you make the ring first. Then, remove all the stones, engrave it, and put it all back together?

I will definitely check into anyone interested in making my idea a reality. Again, I appreciate all the feedback.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Doc,
Brian

It`s all in the cutting Brian, most are fine but not all...cutting is sub-contracted out so there is abit of a quality control issue.
This is most likely an issue of budget for cutting rather than lack of skill as with most things these days.
I had a few small stones with slightly too short pavillion facets which totally messed up the look.

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dakota Doc Neal, would you happen to be a lapidary? I inherited some equipment and some rather beautiful rough. I have an interest in adding this skill to my new shop. I need a beginners place to start. Lapidary Journal has a lot of ads but I don't know what I need. Have only cut and polished on rock. Could you point me in a direction. No classes available locally. Fred

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dakota Doc Neal, would you happen to be a lapidary? I inherited some equipment and some rather beautiful rough. I have an interest in adding this skill to my new shop. I need a beginners place to start. Lapidary Journal has a lot of ads but I don't know what I need. Have only cut and polished on rock. Could you point me in a direction. No classes available locally. Fred

Yep, I've been into lapidary on and off since the 70's. I used to write for Rock & Gem magazine and always liked it better as magazines go. It's like anything else, there are get you by tools and top of the line tools. PM or email me and maybe I can be of some assistance. :)