Flying United with firearms

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I flew from Denver to Cleveland this weekend past to attend the OGCA show. I left Denver with with 8 pistols. At the show I delivered 2 to clients. No problems.

Returning home last night I was majorly hassled by the United checkers. Apparently they have a rule of their own stating that only 5 firearms may be contained in any one case. (Personally I think it was written for long guns, but I certainly could be wrong).

Anyhow I was able to get my 6 guns back, but not without significant headache.

I'm Posting this for all here that may fly with firearms. United has their own rule stating only 5 firearms. The TSA doesn't care how many you put in a case as long as they are unloaded, locks on the case, and the airline clears it.

Point of this is check with each airline to determine their policy. I was basically hijacked by the first two low level employees. I got a manager involved who was kind enough to take me to TSA which cleared my case to travel with more than 5 in one case.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
UPS seems to make up their own rules also. I never heard of this one Burt. Have you seen this ruling in writing? Or could it have been an individuals interpretation?

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Reminds me of traveling w/ my bow and having the agent asking if it was unloaded.
Nice to see at least someone w/ common sense was able to help.

Dan

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Unfortunately Marty its on their website. I really think the average clerk at check in doesn't care what you have. I think I got unlucky and drew some ultra liberal feminazis that hate guns and anything to do with them. The lady looked like she was on a mission to give me trouble. I had flown United several times before with more than 5 guns and not once did I have any of the checkers say one word, let alone bat an eyelash.

I will note that every time I try to fly out of Cleveland with firearms I have problems. I really feel it's an airport specific issue with antigun sentiment

Latest posts

Sponsors