Question: gold supplier

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've searched the old threads but can't seem to find it.

Want to buy 24k dead soft wire, on rio they only have 24k wire that is 1/4 hard.

I don't want to be annealing if I can skip that step even better.

Can some someone point me in the right direction of where I can get it dead soft.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
First of all you're going to be annealing if you are inlaying any metal, it's just part of it especially if you have to draw wire down. It's simple and quick.

As for your question, Stuller or Hoover & Strong are a couple of places.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A number of suppliers require that you be a commercial entity and you must provide them with a tax number and/or business license.
Which ones don't require you to jump thru all the hoops and will sell direct?

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since you are probably going to be inlaying it you should learn to make it. But of coarse that means more tools and another learning curve!!! The advantage is that you could have what wire you need in a short while and never have to order it from anybody.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
And then, you may have the opportunity to learn refining! Even more tools and stuff to learn!

Buy scrap for 25% of the real gold content/value like the rest of the thieves out there!

I owned Salamander Refining for about 6 years. What fun that was! (still do small batches every coupla years)

And no, I'm not looking for work. (may buy some scrap though - never could get it for 25%) :(

Brian

Also adds a little excitement to your life... especially if you screw it up and produce a fulminate...

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Buy several sizes of 24K dead soft and skip the annealing and the draw plate on your first few projects. See if you are going to keep doing it. The rolling mill will set you back more than your graversmith.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
If you were based in South Africa I would have been able to help you with any gold wire thickness and colour your might need. I have a complete goldsmith studio at home and do my own refining also. I make my own alloys and solders as well.

Latest posts

Sponsors