Question: Trying to get started

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

It would help to know which pneumatic handpiece you have in order to answer your question.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Is it only the pneumatic hand piece or does it come with a foot control or control box of some kind? I'm thinking the hand piece alone would be useless without some method of controlling the stroke speed. With regards to your question, it would depend on the requirements of the equipment. I'm running a Lindsay Classic (foot controlled) on a small Air Pro airbrush compressor, and it works fine, Lindsay's palm control would also work fine, but these units consume very little air when in use. Like Sam said,elaborate on what it is you are looking at and someohe on the forum will give you the answer to your question. Oh! and welcome to the forum.
Cheers
Don

jeness

That compressor doesn't have a tank, and supplies 20-50 psi pressure and 0,3 cfm air flow, that won't be usable for any hand piece that requires air to work.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think that's actually sufficient for a Lindsay Palm Control - those things use so little air I think you could put the hose in your mouth and blow if it weren't for the need for clean, dry air.

THe REBEL

Thanks for all of the positive responses. I'm sure that the hand piece is palm controlled just by the look of it and it comes with a spare spring. The air hose is attached to the hand piece. If it wasn't why else would it need a spring right? If the issue with the issue with the compressor is that it doesn't have a tank, then I could rig up a tank and regulater to go with it.

Here is the link to the one im looking to buy if it helps anyone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111487449848?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also I'm wondering how good the quality is on the hand gravers and how difficult is it to start learning with one of these. I've tried using my dremel but I just don't like how it looked. Just kinda wondering what is the best way to get started and learn how to grave without spending alot of money. Any advice is appreciated

THe REBEL

The hand piece is a palm control from the look of it. If the issue is that there is no tank then I could rig up a tank and regulator.

Is this the best way to start out graving and learn how to or would it be easier and less expensive to start out with hammer and chisel. I don't have alot of money to put into this right now. Any advice and tips is much appreciated

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Rebel,

''WARNING. IT CONNECTS TO AN ENGRAVING MACHINE. IT DOES NOT HOOK DIRECTLY TO AN AIR COMPRESSOR.''

I may be wrong, but this 'looks' like a hand piece for a GRS engraving system and therefore you would need to buy the machine to run this handpiece. I say 'looks like' as I think it may be a copy of a genuine 901 hand piece, as I don't recognise it from the GRS site. The advert also mentions "It works with the Graver Helper", which I believe is a cheap chinese copy of the GraverMax or similar.

Anyone else have any more knowledge?

Jo

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Thats the handpiece from a chinese gravermax copy called graverhelper the whole unit is something about 200 to 300 $ I ve seen it many times at ebay.
I dont know if it works fine or not but I think its better to buy the original than maybe wasting money and fun on engraving

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've heard horrible rumors about the Chinese copy. The only pneumatic handpiece that runs solely on direct air is the Lindsay. They range from $800 to $3000 for a full setup. http://www.airgraver.com/
Hand pushing or hammer and chisel is obviously the least expensive route. The type of handpiece you were looking at runs off of a GRS Gravermach system. (although Jo was correct that this one is a copy) This requires a compressor also. These range from around $1300 to $3000 for a full setup less the compressor.
If you are really interested in engraving, go to the tips section of the forum and there is a thread on tool options and setup. I would suggest buying some good pencils and a sketchbook as it will be your most valuable (albeit cheapest) tool. Take a few weeks to read the tips section to become acquainted and then consider a lesson at the GRS facility.
Good luck.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Please don't Brian. I wouldn't feel right about taking money from your UNICEF fund.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
rebel{welcome. .3cfm would operate a lindsay. thats the volume of air delivered. 25 psi is the pressure behind the delivered air to the handpiece. i don't think that psi level would do much in the way of serious engraving, if it would even cycle the handpiece into the needed reciprocating motion needed. when i use the lindsay classic, i never go below about 45 psi. i max the tool to about 60. if you do have a lindsay, you'll need the proper regulator if foot controlled or palm. you will also need a foot control if it's the classic. the lindsay has a logo engraved on the handpiece. since you say you got this cheaply, i'd guess it to be a foreign immitation of the real tool. if it's an imported tool, i'd not spend a buck trying to get the thing up and running. sadly, quality tools require much more money for startup. these tools, however, pay for themselves in reliability
h&c engraving can be done with very little cash investment. there's nothing wrong with this engraving technique. the finest engraving you'll see on the forum is commonly done this way.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i looked at the ebay link. it doesn't look like a bargain to me. listed as "new for $150.00". guaranteed it's not a lindsay, or grs. the lindsay classic & palm models all have a backing handle that is shaped very much like the old, traditional wooden graver handles. one person posted that he had one and was happy with it. i hope the joy he has lasts a long time.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I were you I'd wait and save up for a quality setup. A little money invested in cheap equipment will not pay off in the long run. Good equipment will help you progress faster. If you are worried about losing your $$$ if you decide it's not for you check out the resale value on good equipment in the Buy and sell area. The good stuff retains its value.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Probably the BEST thing you could do is locate an engraver nearby and see if he/she will show you their set-up and let you try it. If things just don't click, save your money and find something else to do. If they do click, hammer and chisel is a very respectable way to start.
I would also try to find a class, if it looks like something you want to do, and learn from a professional. It will take years off the learning curve.

Latest posts

Sponsors