The Arts in Metal show, in Stresa, Italy

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently attended the all new Arts in Metal show in the beautiuful lakeside town of Stresa, Italy.

It was a great event attended by some of the best knifemakers and most trend setting collectors in the world.
S R Johnson was an invited maker, and he asked me to collaborate on this piece with him:
"La Divina Proporzione"

Here is a link to the rest of the knives and makers:

http://artsinmetal.com/?p=23

The location, the Regina Palace Hotel , on the shores of Lake Maggiore,is in the centre of Stresa and faces the Borromean Islands. This hotel represents a fine example of prestige both in the hotel world and historically speaking. The four-star Regina Palace hotel opened in 1908, and still preserves its Art Nouveau period decoration.The unique combination of charm and modernity will render a stay in one of the 214 rooms or suites – all furnished with period pieces and equipped with every facility – totally unforgettable.
It had an AWESOME pool area.

A view from the rooms:

One of the major attractions of the Lake Maggiore/ Stresa area is the Isola Bella, an Island with a palace, a group of the collectors and exhibitors went together on a day tour, to see the sights of the island.

The boatride from the Hotel to Isola Bella,

The entrance hall (mudroom) of the Borromeo palace on the island:

The Fracassi family enjoying the tapestry hall:

Saddle silver Italian style:

A very ornate table:

Looks like a great spot to wet a line:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
What a great thread!!! Wonderful pictures!!! I personally thank you for showing these to us. I think it's pretty cool that Francesca's purse is a US flag pattern!

Donny

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Don, the stars and stripes look good on any woman!
Yes, there was a lot of great socializing going on, there was an outdoor reception with drinks and hor'doeuvres the first night which many makers and collectors attended.
Here are some pics:

Rick Appleton the maker and Daisy, the collector:

My friend Dan with Michael Walker

myself with the Facassis

Ed with Yoshindo Yoshihara and friends

SR Johnson and friends, including an artist who sculpts ivory

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Chip!

The morning of the show, The excitement builds!
in the room as the show is opened, as the invited buyers begin to enter:

World renowned knife makers and exhibitors Ron Lake and Jurgen Steinau leave there tables for a few minutes to visit the other tables and examine the brilliant work by Firmo and Francesca Fracassi on an Emmanuel Esposito knife:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My old engraving friend Joseph stopped in, I had not seen him in ten years. . .

As the time neared for the drawings the tempo built. . .

Esposito shows his fine work. . .

The excellent young engravers Armin Bundschuh and Simone Fezzarde stop by... Simone I have dubbed the current king of pinup bulino, if you want a hot girl in steel, he is the man . . .

Simone takes a closer look at the S R Johnson dagger. . . .

As a drawing ends, Fogarizzu congratulates the winning collector on his bid, with paparazzi recording the event. . .

Fracassi taking in the S R Johnson dagger. . .

S R Johnson with a lucky collector. . . .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors