Hand engraved Ebola Virus on a Titanium pendant. Anyone interested?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
:justkidding:

arnaud

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud - my daughter thought the pendant was great! Sam - we recently saw a display of these stuffed disease critters when we toured Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) on a college visit. They had all sorts of them there....

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
dang, now i gotta worry about this getting on my hard drive ! no more forum for me for 21 days !

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is an update about this engraved Ebola Virus pendant.
I also posted a photo on the Social Media like Face Book and now the newspaper press contacted me and interviewed me. They also made photos of me and Lola at the engraving bench.
So tomorrow we will be in the newspaper.
This at least is one answer to the question : "why?" Just free publicity and who knows perhaps I will get an big order engraving virus.

arnaud

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is an update about this engraved Ebola Virus pendant.
I also posted a photo on the Social Media like Face Book and now the newspaper press contacted me and interviewed me. They also made photos of me and Lola at the engraving bench.
So tomorrow we will be in the newspaper.
This at least is one answer to the question : "why?" Just free publicity and who knows perhaps I will get an big order engraving virus.

arnaud

Who knows... maybe you will end up with a whole line of popular viruses and bacterial infections. :)

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Not funny, cute or appealing. Lots of people dieing. I don't think anyone dealing with this disease or fighting it will find it appealing. Recently Sears was offering nazi swatstica rings. That didn't go over well either.

Just my unhumble opinion which sam will probably delete, but shouldn't.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to agree with Crazy Horse I'm afraid. It's not something I'd find the least bit appealing and it would be even sicker dressed up as a fluffy toy! Maybe if you sell it Arnaud, you'd consider donating the profits to a charity trying to cope with this terrible disease?

However, what really annoys me is the swastika thing. The Nazis hijacked this very ancient symbol which is representative of eternity and it is now looked down on due to a particular political group when in fact it's real meaning is something quite different and wonderful. England has fought hard to reclaim the flag of St George from the Neo nazi groups who hijacked it in the UK and we've succedded; maybe it's time to reclaim the Swastika from the nazi thugs too!

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I concur with Crazy Horse and Marcus this is actually in poor taste and possibly offensive to those that are suffering from this dreadful virus. It's quite a serious issue that has dire consequences for all of us if we can't get it under control.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The main reason why I posted this pendant on Face Book first, is to show my displeasure about how the authorities are misleading us.
Not only do they minimize the risks, no information about how the virus infects.
The same time, the UK orders half a million whit anti-virus suits. I suppose the UK authorities didn’t get them for free. So like always, it is about money. Some companies make good money on Ebola.
My son who lives and works in London, he asked me would you come as close as before to an Afro originated person? Is it safe in public places like supermarkets, hospitals and metro stations ?
I told him what I would do when I had to deal with a daily risk.
At the same time, the Belgian airport personal now refuses to fly to the African West Coast.
So the main reason is Like Artists do, they can start discussions on a subject.
But the café isn’t the place to have these discussions.
PS
The money needed to stop Ebola raises sky high every month. If the money needed in the first month to beat Ebola was generated, de bill never would have been that sky high like it is now.
I have been thinking a short while about donating the profits to a charity who fight against Ebola.
I have my reasons not to donate, that is my opinion.

arnaud

Andrew Biggs

A killer virus like Ebola that spreads nothing but death and misery being used as a marketing/advertising tool. HmmmmmmmmI…………… think it’s a case of just because you can………..doesn’t mean you should. The law of unexpected consequences could kick in and there might also be a backlash.

The reality is that there is no cure for any virus including Ebola and probably never will be. Antibiotics don’t work on viruses as they are only good for treating secondary infections and our time with antibiotics is quickly running out. The authorities are caught short handed because they don’t know how to deal with it as it was never on the radar. It was seen as a small third world problem that is now rapidly becoming a first world major problem.

The best we can hope for is that the death rate of about 70% is reduced by treating the sick. But that means exposing more people to the virus. This in turn means it spreads further as those health workers/military/volunteers return home. Protocols are all well and good but as we all know, the best laid plans can turn to custard in a heartbeat for varying reasons.

The only way to deal with any infectious disease/virus is to isolate and quarantine it to help prevent the spread. That is our best defence. But that is not happening. It was the soldiers returning from WW1 that unwittingly spread the Spanish Flu that killed millions. We are a small world now with international travel. We are only 32 hours away from the furtherest part of the globe, regardless of where you live. Considering the incubation period is about 21 days that leaves a lot of room for travel before any symptoms show up. Combine that with human error, malicious behaviour and misguided good intent…….then you have all the ingredients you need for a total disaster.

Man, that’s a cheery thought for the day isn’t it!!!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to agree with Crazy Horse I'm afraid.

However, what really annoys me is the swastika thing. The Nazis hijacked this very ancient symbol which is representative of eternity and it is now looked down on due to a particular political group when in fact it's real meaning is something quite different and wonderful.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know about you but I like to attempt to engrave pieces that deliver a positive message and are visually pleasing to the eye. If I'm going to invest my valuable time in engraving something I want it to be something special, artistic, in good taste.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors