Rank beginner from UK

Hi there from across the pond, :tiphat:
Been lurking and reading for a while so thought I'd finally post.

Well, I purchased a Gravermax last month and produced these copper plates. Ive only got an optivisor aswell.

Now, I'm a beginner, so apologies for the crude work, but its so hard to find courses here so any hints, tips or 'don't do that' would be greatly received. I just want to get better and ultimately earn a living from this.
The first plate was my fist attempt with the gravermax and the second was my second attempt etc....

I took a weekend course in push engraving about 6 months ago and nothing since but Ive been practicing, looking, reading, and studying what I can.

Thanks,

John.

Attachments

• platefin1st.jpg
    platefin1st.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 306
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 301
  • platefin1.jpg
    platefin1.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 303

Andrew Biggs

Hi John and welcome to the forum

You are actually going down a path that most of us have gone down. That is being self taught. Nothing wrong with that. You have also started where all of us have started. Knowing nothing :)

Work hard, practice and learn to observe the difference between good engraving and bad. Listen to good advise and learn the basics well. Practice your design skills with pencil and paper till you are sick of it........then practice more.

Those things, more than anything, will get you to where you want to go.

You've made a good start so just keep at it

Cheers
Andrew

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
John
Just my 10p worth get some bright mild steel to learn on copper and brass to some extent are harder steel will give a much better result and follow Andrew advice .

Thanks for the advice, I am already drawing lots and will continue to do so. I'll get my self some mild steel and see how that goes and check out the online tutoring aswell.
Thanks again.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good work

Hey, your work is very promising. My tips would be with your fine line shading... make sure you don't go all the way out to the edges of your leaves but leave some blank space there so the leaf is easily seen in it's shape... also make sure your shading lines start with just a scratch from the belly of the graver (120 is good) and get a little bit deeper as they go along. They may meet, they may have a bit of space all the way to the end... light and dark comes from both how thick the lines are and how close they are. Also cross hatching is important. Too heavy with that can look horrible, and they can go straight accross, on an angle, or curved if you want to get fancy. Keep at it.:tiphat:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
To add to Dani Girl's comments, work to make your spirals smooth and rounded having no flat areas or abrupt bends and make the spirals that go to a border just reach the border...not stand off or go past.

You have made an excellent start and practice will keep you improving, along with questions on the forum. Though you can do this all on your own, you will find a short class or two will greatly speed things up. If you can find an engraver in the UK willing to give hands on help all the better.

As to the optivisor, that is all I have used for many years. I find a microscope too confining in movement for my taste but do use one on occasion when working on some very tiny detail.

Latest posts

Sponsors