Announcement: Knife Engraving Kits

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Personally for me, I am using both methods as Brian mentioned. And it works!

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I tried the scan method, & all I get is a black rectangle.

Can someone describe the ink method?

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We are hopefully going to have a video out soon about the process. It was designed to lift the pattern with tape and then put it on the knife. I'll post here as soon as that is up on the site.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
We are hopefully going to have a video out soon about the process. It was designed to lift the pattern with tape and then put it on the knife. I'll post here as soon as that is up on the site.

Tira, thanks.

I found Mike Dubber's method on YouTube. He uses a chapstick and powdered graphite mix for a gun. Would this damage the casting? I guess it's the same process using ink, i.e., let the liquid ink fill the pattern on the casting, wipe excess ink off of flat surface, and then lift the pattern with clear tape. Correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5-XYqd72_U

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's the stuff - or a similar concoction. The casting may be washed gently to remove any residue. The only thing I would be careful about is scrubbing the casting to avoid scratches. Mild soap and water won't hurt it at all.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Bildio,

The chap stick and graphite is what I use. To reverse the pattern you make a pull from the plate and then put tape to tape which will give you the reverse . With the chap stick it works better than anything I have tried. If others have a good solution for the reversing please feel free to tell us. New tricks are always something to learn for all of us.

You could also make a pull to clear tape and then add another piece over it don't squeeze it too much because the chap stick will smear . Then you have a negative that you can scan or put in a copier for either side for both sides of the knife.

For those that are good with photo shop or other programs once you have it scanned you can reverse it in the program. The one thing with the chap stick pulls id that for beginners you will want to scribe it once it's transferred . This is good practice and will teach you about drawing designs For those with experience you can cut it directly as long as you don't smear it. The n ice thing about using the tape to transfer is that if you do accidentally smear it it's not difficult to re apply the transfer because you can see while aligning it.

The main thing is to have fun and enjoy what you are doing.

Chris

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dumb question, I'm assuming you melt the chapstick and add the graphite powder. How much graphite per stick. I'm asking cause the art store here sells graphite powder in a jar that looks like it would last for centuries.

Thanks

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Dumb question, I'm assuming you melt the chapstick and add the graphite powder. How much graphite per stick. I'm asking cause the art store here sells graphite powder in a jar that looks like it would last for centuries.
Thanks

I got a small tube of powdered graphite (3 gm) in the lock/key section of Home Depot. I think it's more than enough for one stick of chapstick. Need to open opposite end to get it out.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Process Weakness - Can you spot it?

My sainted and long suffering wife has wanted to see more of what I try to do, so I decided to demonstrate for her the "new" chapstick method I'd read about on the all powerful Interweb. Upon my assurances that it wasn't dangerous or messy, she suggested that I show her Upstairs (you know, where polite people are allowed) and designated a spot on the kitchen table for the demo.

Altoids box, heat gun, lamp black, 3 chapsticks; check.
Chapsticks melted; check.
Little bit of lamp black, mix into the melted chapstick, let it cool while eating dinner; check.
After dinner, items back on the kitchen table; cooled black wax, transfer plate, Scotch 600; check.
Transfer.... Not so great. Insufficient black, and chapstick easily smears.

She scoffs, I explain that there's just not enough lamp black and I've pressed too hard. She consents to another run so I can retain my engraved Manclub card.

Dumped about a film cannister worth of lamp black into Altoids box on top of wax to ensure manliness, set heat gun to previous heat and further adjusted up to high to make sure I got penetration through the ....cold wax.

PROCESS FAILURE!

As it turns out, lampblack is pretty hard to clean up over a wide backblast area with light carpet and nice things. My wife and I look like the roadrunner lit us up with Acme products.

I am on time out in the basement.

Bob

PS - Great kits, btw, and well worth the money!!!!!!

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My sainted and long suffering wife has wanted to see more of what I try to do, so I decided to demonstrate for her the "new" chapstick method I'd read about on the all powerful Interweb. Upon my assurances that it wasn't dangerous or messy, she suggested that I show her Upstairs (you know, where polite people are allowed) and designated a spot on the kitchen table for the demo.

Altoids box, heat gun, lamp black, 3 chapsticks; check.
Chapsticks melted; check.
Little bit of lamp black, mix into the melted chapstick, let it cool while eating dinner; check.
After dinner, items back on the kitchen table; cooled black wax, transfer plate, Scotch 600; check.
Transfer.... Not so great. Insufficient black, and chapstick easily smears.

She scoffs, I explain that there's just not enough lamp black and I've pressed too hard. She consents to another run so I can retain my engraved Manclub card.

Dumped about a film cannister worth of lamp black into Altoids box on top of wax to ensure manliness, set heat gun to previous heat and further adjusted up to high to make sure I got penetration through the ....cold wax.

PROCESS FAILURE!

As it turns out, lampblack is pretty hard to clean up over a wide backblast area with light carpet and nice things. My wife and I look like the roadrunner lit us up with Acme products.

I am on time out in the basement.

Bob

PS - Great kits, btw, and well worth the money!!!!!!

haha funny story...Bob scan it and try the parchment paper method, use the search you'll find it

Saludos,

Carlos

Andrew Biggs

Hi Bob

If you really want to see your better half light up..........try cleaning a couple of hundred black powder cartridges in the dishwasher using dishwashing liquid.

There aren't enough brownie points in the world to get you out of that one. The dog box was cold and miserable for a few days after that little trick.

So take heart.....you are not alone :)

Cheers
Andrew

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
haha funny story...Bob scan it and try the parchment paper method, use the search you'll find it

Saludos,

Carlos

Scanning didn't work for me. I get a solid black rectangle. If it can be scanned, I'd like to know how.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Hey everyone.

I have been reading this forum almost everyday since I signed up.

Not so much engraving for me, but I finaly took courage to try Christians engraving kit.

I used the chapstickmetod and it was great for transferring.

My problem was that I smear out the stuff while engraving several times.

A great kit for us newbies.

Her is a couple of pictures of my attemt.

hope you like it even it far away from perfect:eek:

Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• chrisfolder2.jpg
    chrisfolder2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 85
  • chrisdefolder.jpg
    chrisdefolder.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 84