Image resizing question.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all. I am pulling my hair out and I don't have much left to pull! I am using paint.net and want to resize a scanned image.What I want to do is scan my item to be engraved then enlarge it to aid drawing, then print it out. I want to draw my design on the enlarged print, re scan, then shrink back down ready for re printing at the correct size for transfer. I have clicked on image and resized it to the exact size in cm for transfer but it keeps printing a full a4 size page. I know alot of you are clued up on computer matters and i could really do with a pointer in the right direction. I normally draw onto tracing paper after taking a pencil outline of the item but alot of items are so small having them blown up would be a great help. Thank you for any help you can give.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,
It sounds like a printer setting is off. Most printers will allow you to print full size, actual size, or a percentage. These settings are usually found in the advanced or print setup screens of your printer.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil
I print out my graphics in photoshop which is what I use to play with my images. I always work with them full size and then print them using the command print with preview. I can then enlarge them on the paper to the size i want while not changing the size of my original image after drawing an enlarged image inscan it at 600 dpi then in photoshop reduce it to the actual size i need.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys. I've been althrough the settings for the printer and even re installed the most up to date drivers. Its a HP all in one, model deskjet 1510. I believe quite a few of us engravers use these for image transfer as they have been said to be reasonable printers for our purposes, albeit disposable. I cannot find any tabs to alter the print size in the printer settings. I dare say it is staring right at me but I can't for the life of me find it. It's got to the stage where MC Hammer would come in singing hammer time! It would not be a chasing hammer either. I have a great big lump hammer on standby!!!!!! I have to be honest and say that I have dabbled with computer transfers in the past and always end up extremely frustrated. I would love it to work but it is so damn unreliable for me as a relative technophobe. I always get good results from my trusted tracing paper and pencil coating on the back.It would just be soooooo much easier with the modern fangled ways.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
what program are you using to print? Photoshop? what version, if you can answer those questions you might be closer to finding an answer on YouTube very good helpful videos there

Saludos,

Carlos

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not familiar with that program and assume you are using Windows? Are you printing the image right from the program? If you try to print from "Windows Photo Viewer" it defaults and prints a full page image. Try printing from within the program or even try another program to open and print it.

Deb Williams

Phil: If you have Microsoft Word, you can insert a picture (scanned image) into a blank Word document. Click on the picture, drag corners diagonally to enlarge/reduce the picture, and print the picture from Word. Use the ruler feature (under View on ribbon) to determine size. You can also use the "Picture Tools" feature of Word to crop the picture.

Deb Williams

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all.
Carlos. I am using paint.net Similar capabilities to photoshop... but free.
Thanks Rex. I am printing straight from that program and the print size for the image is set to what I require, yet a full A4 image is printed all the time.
Deb and Eric... I will try using word and let you know how I get on. Thank you for your help. I will keep the lump hammer on standby for tomorrow!!!!!!!

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When you resize your image make sure that when you change the size, the program is not altering the resolution. Some graphics programs will alter the resolution without you knowing it. Basically, I'm trying to say don't decrease the size and increase it back by accidentally changing resolution.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Just a quick update. I opened the image in Word, and printed from there. It came out the exact size that I had resized it to in paint.net. No degradation of image either.Excellent!
By the way. For those of you who are reluctant to spend the money on photoshop if like me you are just doing a little image editing, then paint.net is a good programme. It is not as powerful as photoshop but more than capable of anything that you would need to do.... unless of course you are a pro designer. Oh and it is completely free with plenty of online tutorials.... especially important for Carlos as he must spend more time on you tube than at the bench ;)

Latest posts

Sponsors