Artesà ASX321 in action.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all!

I just want to share a video showing the Artesà machine engraving a sample on 303 Stainless steel.

I did this very simple design some time ago following the instructions given by Ron Smith in his "Drawing & Understanding scroll designs" book. The basic structure explained in the figure 46 of page 21 gave me the idea to do something that can be engraved fast but still showing the machine capabilities in a way of not having someone waiting so much and getting bored... :)

So... 1, 2, 3, 4,... 1, 2, 3, 4,.... and so on.

[video=youtube;B49DCLU-iTI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B49DCLU-iTI[/video]

Cheers!
Leonardo

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Mike! Thank you. It would be really great to meet you again. :)
Please, say hi for me to Kathy.

All the best to you both,
Leonardo

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Fred, thank you. Really much appreciated.

By the way, I hope and wish you are getting better day after day!

Take care of you,
Leonardo

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, these tools are HSSE, cobalt high-speed steel, coated with a Ti-Al alloy, especially developed and manufactured for the Artesà machine.

All the best,
Leonardo

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leonardo,

In the last few years, I have seen quite a few Italian and Spanish shotguns that carry ornamentation applied by technological means. Especially die impressing, laser cutting and acid etching or a combination of methods enhanced by hand chasing. Have any of the gun manufacturers started to use the Artesa system for applying decoration?

Saludos,

Roger

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
That`s quite something!
Do wonder about the burrs/chips, don`t they sometimes interfere with the cutting tool?

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
That`s quite something!
Do wonder about the burrs/chips, don`t they sometimes interfere with the cutting tool?
I am sure Leonardo will correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have seen on another video of the Artesa, I think it uses a burst of compressed air to clear the chips after each cut? is that right Leonardo?,

Maravilloso trabajo Leonardo

Felicitasiones,

Richard.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Hi
How long does it take to write the prog ? There are many G Functions or does ist work with a sketch converter ?

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It would be a lot nicer if the demo video was in sharper focus during the cutting portion of the video. It's not until the final still image that a person can finally see what was cut. A few of the newer DSLR cameras are able to make 1080p HD videos such as the Canon 6D. I think a sharper video with greater depth of field would be a lot better. Just my impression of it.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
That`s quite something!

I am sure Leonardo will correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have seen on another video of the Artesa, I think it uses a burst of compressed air to clear the chips after each cut? is that right Leonardo?,

Maravilloso trabajo Leonardo

Felicitasiones,

Richard.

I was thinking something like that would help. But apparently not used on this clip.

Chris, as Richard said, the machine has this feature but you can turn it off. Jewelers do not like very much to see their gold's chips being blown away! :)
In this case I disable the air because I put some cutting oil on the plate and did not want to have oil flying everywhere.

Thank you both for your kind comments.
Leonardo

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi
How long does it take to write the prog ? There are many G Functions or does ist work with a sketch converter ?

Silberschweif, you do not need to do any program to have an engraving done by the Artesà machine. Just draw what you want to engrave in CorelDRAW assigning colors to shapes and that is all. Then you will be able to control the tool head behavior using the settings in the Artesa-NC CAM software.

Cheers,
Leonardo

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
It would be a lot nicer if the demo video was in sharper focus during the cutting portion of the video. It's not until the final still image that a person can finally see what was cut. A few of the newer DSLR cameras are able to make 1080p HD videos such as the Canon 6D. I think a sharper video with greater depth of field would be a lot better. Just my impression of it.

You are right Doc, shame on me! Even so, the cutting oil that I put on the plate did not let the camera to focus better. Then, the compression codecs did their part to blur the final video even more.
I promise that I will do my best to improve all this next time.

All the best,
Leonardo

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, very nice machine, wonderful results, imaginative invention. I don't see why anyone would bother to try to compete with it, just like all computer driven machining. Fast accurate and it never gets tired. When that happened to standard machining the last Masters lost their jobs and went on to sell sausage or something and no new people were ever trained. Now talented machinists are all dying and a trade was lost to the world. I know that tags me as a Luddite but I have seen so much training and ability lost to the world, never to be seen again.

Just an opinion, it is in fact a very cool machine I just don't like the future it represents.

scott99

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Roger wrote:
In the last few years, I have seen quite a few Italian and Spanish shotguns that carry ornamentation applied by technological means. Especially die impressing, laser cutting and acid etching or a combination of methods enhanced by hand chasing. Have any of the gun manufacturers started to use the Artesa system for applying decoration?
--
Roger, I believe it was at Cesare Giovanelli that I saw crates of Piotti actions that had the scroll backbones machine engraved and laser etched and were waiting for the hand engravers to add leaves, tendrils, etc. I bet you saw them when you were there a couple weeks prior to my visit.

Latest posts

Sponsors