H&H 20g S/S

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, Masterfully done work at warp speed with you standard artistic genius. I have a couple of technical questions I would like to ask you if you don't mind sharing a little more.
Starting with a question on a trigger guard, many times they are shaped differently if it is a right handed gun or a left handed gun. We will assume we are talking about a right handed gun. Suppose you decided to have a gold inlayed border. I assume that the inlay would require steel on both sides of the gold inlayed line. Would the right side have a wider steel border on the outside of the inlay? On the outside of the left side of the trigger guard gold inlay how much steel must be left to hold the gold inlay line? In other words, how close can you come to the edge of the trigger guard?

My next question is about the area on side plates or any other areas where steel comes into contact with the wood of the stock or forearm. How much steel must be left to hold the inlay if you designed with the appearance of the gold against the wood?

Thank you very much for your response. Fred

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Fantastic as usual :thumbsup:
Just an observation..like all handwork, if you study close enough you`ll still find the odd "doglegged bit" even by the best.

That`s a good thing as it adds authenticity unlike machined perfection.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, Masterfully done work at warp speed with you standard artistic genius. I have a couple of technical questions I would like to ask you if you don't mind sharing a little more.
Starting with a question on a trigger guard, many times they are shaped differently if it is a right handed gun or a left handed gun. We will assume we are talking about a right handed gun. Suppose you decided to have a gold inlayed border. I assume that the inlay would require steel on both sides of the gold inlayed line. Would the right side have a wider steel border on the outside of the inlay? On the outside of the left side of the trigger guard gold inlay how much steel must be left to hold the gold inlay line? In other words, how close can you come to the edge of the trigger guard?

My next question is about the area on side plates or any other areas where steel comes into contact with the wood of the stock or forearm. How much steel must be left to hold the inlay if you designed with the appearance of the gold against the wood?

Thank you very much for your response. Fred

Fred, when inlaying a border on a trigger guard, I like to have the same size steel edge border each side. When there's a bead, the border is next to the bead.

The thickness of the border if too wide will look wrong.

Making the gold border right next to the edge is possible but not practical because when undercutting that very small "edge" the tool can run through it, also when beating the gold in, that edge can collapse.

I don't like the gold border to run right to the edge, but I have done it a few times with raised gold, a lot easier, because the gold spreads over the undercut border and over to the edge.

Arnaud, the first year I started engraving I did 17 guns, now they are down to a handful a year because the work is different, the total amount is around 240.

Phil

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Phil
Another stunning piece of skill and artistic class :tiphat: I never get sick of looking at your work thanks :bow:
Ray

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
You the "Man" Phil :)
Just spent the week end visiting Ron Smith, and I was bragging on ye.
We were talking about how difficult Portraits are, and I was trying to tell him about that portrait you have in your Avatar, and he ask who it was ?
I could not tell him and he is no longer on the internet, so I could not show him :-(

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is a lot more interesting engraving a portrait of a face like Samuel Ryder's as opposed to a smiling pretty face :)

Phil

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Andrew.

Just had the fully carved with muli-coloured raised carved scroll with gold dogs/birds/scroll Purdey back after hardening, working on that at the moment finishing the goldwork.

I posted some "pre" pics a few months ago, more when the work is finished, about three weeks.

Phil

Sponsors