Question: Co2 vs compressor

EverydayAlchemy

Hi all. My name is OJ and I'm new to the forum. I've been reading a lot and don't have a lot to contribute yet. I am considering picking up hand-engraving as a hobby. I have the arts background, but will be going with the self-taught method since there aren't any engraving classes (that I could find) in the Las Vegas area.

The question I have is in regards to the different types of air-powered gravers. I have a 20lb Co2 tank that I use for airbrushing. It lasts a long time between fills for airbrushing and I find it to be easy on the ears in my condo living situation. I'd like to know if the different types of gravers out there will work with Co2 air or do the (seemingly proprietary) compressors that a lot of these are sold with providing the air fluctuation that produces the jackhammer-type of movement. Are the fluctuations controlled by the compressor or by the hand-held graver? :handpiece:

Next question: (If Co2 is an appropriate air-supply) do you know of a stand-alone footpedal that can regulate the air from a Co2 delivery setup.

I did scour the forum using the search function but I didn't find anything specifically addressing this setup. Thank you in advance.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know Lindsay airgraver will work of co2 with some regulators to bring down the pressure to around 35 to 65 psi normal operating range. Not sure on GRS equipment, grs equipment uses more air than The classic I own both, yet both will do a great job.

Saludos,

Carlos

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The GRS equipment uses the box to produce the pulsed air stream. The Lindsay does it all inside the handpiece. The GRS has adjustments the Lindsay doesn't, but the differences are more in the feel of the unit than in actual functionality.

The key difference for you is air flow. The Lindsay requires a lot less air flow than the GRS. You can run the GRS system off of CO2, but not for any real usable time. The Lindsay Classic will run for 3 - 4 hours of use off of a 20oz tank. If you go with the PalmControl Lindsay it will run for several times as long.

In both cases you need an entire system, not just the handpiece. For the Lindsay you need a regulator and a foot pedal (for the Classic - obviously no foot pedal for the palm control). For the GRS you need the main unit, the foot pedal, and the handpiece. Either system can be fed from a compressor. The absolute requirement is clean, dry 'air'. CO2 is nice because that's what you get. A compressor is nice because you don't have to refill it. For your environment you'd want a 'silent' compressor - the ones that sound like a refrigerator running.

There are several engravers who teach who aren't all that far from you. Brian Marshall is in Stockton, CA and I know he also has both GRS & Lindsay. One of the main hobo nickel carvers is right there in Vegas (blanking on the name right now). A class will do you a world of good in addition to letting you try out equipment.

EverydayAlchemy

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

Carlos, I have a pretty simple, but accurate regulator setup and can adjust the air pressure to pretty much anything I want. 35-65 PSI range shouldn't be an issue at all.

Steve, out of curiosity, is there something the "entire system" does on the Lindsay AirGraver beside control the amount of air being sent to the handset? It seems as though the unit should be controllable with a foot pedal being fed clean, dry air (a la Co2). Or even by feeding a Palm Control AirGraver directly. See pic from Lindsay's site:

Thanks again for all your input.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not Steve but you are correct. Everything is in the hand piece. GRS equipment uses a control box. I have both, each does the same thing, push the graver through the metal instead of taping with a hammer. They work on different principals but that is the deal. The Gravermiester works on a third with a vacuum pump built in. NgraveR and Foredom work on the Flexshaft machines.All have advantages and dis advantages. Players choice. Fred

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I am currently using a Lindsay classic powered by an air-pro airbrush compressor,(bought it used for $80.00) Works great. Really quiet and amazing how long it will run on the air in the compressors tiny air tank. Really frugal on air consumption. The palm control is even easier on air consumption. I have a couple of 20oz CO2 bottles and a larger 20lb CO2 tank that I used to fill my CO2 air pistol and rifle , as well as Steve's regulator , but haven't used it yet. Bought it for portability. Hope this helps in your decision making.
Cheers
Don

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As the others have said, the Lindsay system packs pretty much everything into the handpiece. The regulator does set your idle (a Lindsay purrs in your hand while waiting to cut). Because the PalmControl is so frugal of air you can get enough time off of the powerlet to show it off. Probably be able to put some initials on something, maybe a whole name. The point of running it off of that tiny, tiny, tank is just to be able to do it.

When I work portable I have a total of three 20-oz tanks. Haven't been out and about enough to need the third one but I have made it into the second one. If I had a PalmControl I'd take along just one extra tank and that would be just in case I either hadn't charged the first one or had some sort of problem.

EverydayAlchemy

Thanks a lot everyone! You're a wealth of knowledge. Sounds like the Lindsay system is the way to go for my current situation. Now I need to keep an eye out for a "For Sale" thread on a Lindsay graver.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The EnSet system also runs off of CO2. I use this at shows so I don't have to lug a compressor. For everyday use I still use the compressor. The Original only is using "air" when you are actively engraving. The Plus system has a small bleed all the time due to the precision regulator.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks a lot everyone! You're a wealth of knowledge. Sounds like the Lindsay system is the way to go for my current situation. Now I need to keep an eye out for a "For Sale" thread on a Lindsay graver.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Good luck with that. They rarely come up for sale and when they do the depreciation is so low you will only save a few bucks. If any of us who already have one saw one for sale at a significantly reduced price we'd jump on it just to have another.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Tira! I wish I had an EnSet so I could give good info on it, but at this time that's all I can do.

Roger I was going to warn him of the same thing. If you're like me the first thought in your head when you see a Lindsay for sale is "Who died?"

Latest posts

Sponsors