Question: Practice Knives

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
What do you think of these as practice pieces?

3 1/2 inch with stainless steel bolsters

lockback knife.jpg

I can get them for $4 a piece and I figure I can throw them on the table at gun shows for table fodder.

I am worried about first impressions though. I don't want people to think poorly of my engraving based on early work. I'm torn.

I have Blueridge Knives as a distributor so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
If you are confident in your skills. Then you might think about buying better knives like Spyderco or Byrd (sub of Spyderco). At our dealer price they are a great value for the money that can be realized. Case would be another brand although I have never had issues selling them I have read from others on here who have....

Donny

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
People my age can remember a wine commercial featuring Orson Wells with the tag line "we will sell no wine before its time." It is the same way with engraving. Too many beginners want to start making money way before the quality of their work has reached a salable level, then later, regret all of the "old ghosts" they did floating around out there. My comments here are not directed specifically at Neishia because I have never seen an example of her work, but are meant to be taken in general.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if an experienced engraver, i'd go with a better valued knife. junk knives will bring junk prices unless you're an engraver with some level of regard. then again, such "recognized" engravers would not work on them.if your interest is in learning the ins & outs of cutting ss, might be good for stocking stuffers, b day gifts, whatever. no harm in trying, but i'm thinkin about your "bottomline", if that includes money, ugh ! if you could supply a couple fotos of your latest work, perhaps a member or two could give an opinion about the work you're currently capable of producing. good luck.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
MTC
Spend your money on practice plates,Speedy Metals .com cold rolled steel 3/16 They cut it for no fee. About $1.50 each. I still buy it in 3 foot lengths cut to 3in X 3 in. Can also be used for demo or master plates. The thicker metal keep the vibration down easier to cut and less graver breaking
Also keep the first ones , look at them a year from now. You will understand then. Keep cutting

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Dave.
Westbrook quoted me $250. for a 2" piece of 4" SS pipe.
Will be calling tomorrow, for sure.

Andrew Biggs

For a practice piece it looks like a great canvas to hone your skills on. At $4 a pop you can't go wrong

Or can you??

No all stainless is equal. Some are nice to cut and others are a dog. So my advise is, buy one and check it out first to see if it cuts well. If so, then order a few more to help refine your skills. But don't try selling them. Just practice and throw in a box.

Once you are at a level of good cutting/designing..........then buy better knives and sell those.

Cheers
Andrew

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I will differ a bit from the majority...

Buy the knives you put up. Maybe 4 or 6 of them. You can't get a practice plate shaped like a knife for $4.

Cut them to the best of your ability. If they turn out to be nasty 300 series stainless, and you don't give up on 'em - you will at least learn a LOT about sharpening!

DO NOT SIGN THEM

DO NOT SELL THEM

Do put them on your table if you wish to fill up some space and start conversation - just tell people they are sold/spoken for.

Don't take orders just yet either... make up some excuse, but DO get and keep their contact info if you can get it.

As you finish the 4 or 6 knives you will learn a LOT!

Post them up here. Get more advice, until you feel you are ready to actually sell something you cut. At that point DO think about upping the quality. (still don't sign them yet - you'll know when the time comes)

You can GIVE these practice knives to close family and friends as gifts if they are actually useable, some knives in this price range are only suitable for letteropeners.

Then offer to buy them back a few months later - or trade 'em a new/better knife using all of the new skills you wiil have learned... cutting these $4 "practice plates"....

Or, as Andrew says you can always put 'em away in a box.

Either way you should probably unobstrusively date them. Look at them a coupla years down the road and remember where you once were.

Brian

Last edited:

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
Wow lots of good advice. I never even thought about stocking stuffers. I'm holding off posting pics until I have some better consistency. I'll be doing great and then out of the blue I'll turn a curved line flat or break a graver and lose the consistency of my depth. I just need to make the time to practice practice practice.

mgdesigns

I have purchase about 400 or more of those cheap solid stainless steel lock back knives. They do make great practice pieces, and I offer them as inexpensive Groomsmens' presents (basically just charge for hand engraving). They are made of horrible stainless steel, and I have shortened my gravers quite a bit by re-sharpening. But at $1/each they serve a purpose, and can actually be pocket carried to show examples of my work to potential customers (and even whittle a bit when camping). Don't buy 400 of them, though. Your cash is better spent on good tools, and better knives to really be profitable.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
As an option, I've often asked for people to trade me replacement practice knives/pieces for my work on a 2:1 to 4:1 basis. It's a win/win. There is an old wives tail in our family that you never "give" a knife to someone. It must always be sold or you're going to find it sticking out of your back one day.

Dan

mgdesigns

As an option, I've often asked for people to trade me replacement practice knives/pieces for my work on a 2:1 to 4:1 basis. It's a win/win. There is an old wives tail in our family that you never "give" a knife to someone. It must always be sold or you're going to find it sticking out of your back one day.

Dan

My father said it was a Jewish tradition to never accept a free knife, alway pay at least a penny. Even when I presented him with a gift knife engraved, he paid me a penny.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
When I first started engraving I would buy cheap knives that were made in Pakistan. They had nickel silver bolsters and bone handles. They were easy on the eye and people loved 'em. But the main thing I remember is that even though it was a really cheap knife (about a dollar or two), my concentration level was far greater than it was when I was hacking away at a practice plate. So for me engraving "real" articles made me work carefully and with more determination.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I half to say that you are absolutely right. Rushing to guns, Even cheap H & R's is a mistake. I have a .22 9 shot revolver that I rushed to as a practice gun. Paid $25 used it was $79.99 new. I did a pretty decent job on it as far as I went. All the flat surfaced areas cut pretty well and it was coming out pretty decent. When I came to the round surfaces I was lost. No forums in those days. No guidance of any kind. It is still in the hand tooled holster I made for it unfinished. I oil once in a while as it is in the white. Fred

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I admit I got the idea to look for inexpensive knives from you. I saw a post where you said you practiced on a barrel full early on.

Latest posts

Sponsors