an attempt drawing bigger scroll designs

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Finally I finished the other side of this Damascus folder knife, in an attempt to draw bigger.
My problem as a goldsmith is that most of the time I draw too small

The first photo showing quite small scrolls I did first.

Now I finished the other side with a design as big as I could. :pencil:

Both designs were draw directly on the metal.

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
A big improvement, Arnaud. To me, the second scroll feels more natural in it's space. That beeing said, the first one were quite pleaceing as well.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud When you draw, what magnification, if any, do you use?

I like to use my #5 Optivisor for drawing. I find that it's just the right amount of magnification to let me see well without trapping me into extraneous intricacy. I did a pendant recently and without thinking about it I drew it under my scope. It's quite lovely, but it's hard to appreciate it without magnification.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks all, Steve when drawing directly on the metal I too use an optivizer X2.5. Sometimes I use the scope as well.
Anyway I don't think it is because of the magnification that I draw small. I always start with the backbone (scrolls) and then adding the leaves.
The scrollwork I can draw real small and then I might get into problems adding leaves.
But as you can see I know how to avoid too small scrolls if I pay attention on it.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I also prefer the large version. Very nicely designed with a good balance of background. :clapping: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Sponsors