Question: DLC finish

Dragonsfire

GOOD MORNING!!! Question going out for anyone familiar with some of the new finishes "they" are putting on pistols these days. I have a potential customer asking for personalization on his EDC. Stainless steel slide. Minimum amount of engraving, and gold inlay initials. All of that is a non issue. But.... he wants a final finish with what he is call DLC (Diamond Like Coating), in black. Finish to be applied after a my work is done. I researched the DLC and of course, don't understand it. It goes on approx. 3 microns thick so it won't fill the cut lines. But will it cover the gold inlay???? This gentleman sounds like a repeat customer if I can get some info. PLEASE HELP!?!?!?!

Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Just thought of something that may, or may not, work. If you do all engraving first, sans gold, there is no gold issue to contend with at the time of coating. It MAY be possible to inlay lines, borders, initials, etc. and then flush cut, gingerly, with a mirror polished and razor ground graver. It may not hurt, or even show, on the coating. However the term "Diamond LIKE Coating' is one that may just be a term used for a product name, and may not have the actual hardness of a diamond. The hardness of a graver, which may be around 60-65 Rc, might be a 'points spread' that's sufficient enough to not to approach marring the coating. The manufacturer should be able to help, and maybe you could send him some sample plates, with inlay channels, that he'd coat and return to you for your end of it. It's just a thought.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh my... I'm not sure I would do the inlay after a factory coating. Sanding and flat gravers have to much of a risk of scratching the finish with no ability to repair. I'd ask the manufacturer. I would not be afraid to saw no.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Consider Cerakote. You can put it on yourself and I'd bet it is equal to the DLC being requested. Even then, why cover up the engraving? Uggh.

Dan Gerdes

Runingfool

I wouldn't coat any engraving with a spray on finish, Cerakote or DLC. Why cover up beautiful hand work? Even bluing adds to the surface finish.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Being only 3 micron thick the coating will have little effect on the general engraving cuts-no bulino of course. most engravers use brass chisels to trime their gold down. It may be possible to mask the gold during coating. Check with manufacture was sound advice-Fred

Dragonsfire

Thanks for the input everyone!!! I made a dozen calls to shops that do this kind of work asking the gold question. The best answer I received, was "send me a plate with gold inlay and we'll try it." So I did some more research and sent out a few PM's. everyone I heard back from had the same ideas I do, DON"T DO IT. Mr. Malouf took the time to explain the process itself. The piece has to have some Ferrous base to it. It is applied as a fog at temps around 900 degrees. The customer's gun is SS, but what type? No idea. The thought of inlaying after coating just makes me pucker, not happening. I forwarded all the info I acquired to the customer, and he has agreed, no gold. GOOD CHOICE! Just some fine line engraving and he can have it coated when I am done. If anyone out there has had actual experience with this stuff please let me know. Thank you all again!!!

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with the "DON'T DO IT" reply, but for maybe different reasons. The original type of such coatings was called Armaloy, I believe, and did need some 600 degrees F. to be applied. No springs could be done, for tempering reasons, and other parts came into question. With a 900 degree F. need, that's worse. Knife steels, perhaps, are more suitable, but may not be available in gun part sizes. For example, I have about 40'-50' of BG42, double or triple vacuum melted, rolled flat. It's use is in fighter jet engine bearings, running 600-900 degrees F., with spurts of occasional 1,200 degrees F.. Guns would cost a king's ransom made out of this stuff. I'm apprehensive of the high temperatures used in the DLC process, as damage may result. There may be other coatings/processes out there more suitable and nondamaging, and I imagine the Engineers are looking for such all the time. My advice is to stay away from high temperatures, regardless of the promises.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
My take on some of the new finishes is they are essentially really good paint (probably a type of epoxy) stuck/baked on a very carefully prepared metal surface. If the prep isn't perfect it peels off just like all the color coat on those 1980's silver and white pickup trucks or 1990's mini van. Good luck..........

I went to a gun show this weekend and all the plastic guns and "painted" style gun coat made me want to come home and admire my old guns. The new processes are all about cutting manufacturing cost. Long gone are the days of the nicely blued hand fitted revolvers.

I'm starting to sound like I'm getting old, dang it.

John

Sponsors