Question: Will airgraver paralyze me?

yakob

Hi

This is my third day with an air graver.

Since I have been using it my thumb is not function properly.

I can not squeeze anything with my thum.

Will it be OK soon or should I give up using airgraver.

I am working only a few hours with airgraver.

I can not feel my thumg almost 30 minutes after I fnish working with airgraver. it feels as if it falls asleep.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
:thinking:There are a few simple solutions to your dilema......

1- Use your other hand and give the one you are using a rest.
2- Make a placement thumb out of thermoloc which would give the needed support to your thumb and the rest of your hand.
3- Don't hold the handpice in a death grip. Be gentle on it after all it is only a piece of metal. You will also find you have more control this way.

Pick one of the above......

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
New leather stampers/carvers go through a period of their hands/ fingers cramping, due to their death grip on the tools. As fancygun stated loosen up!
In your off time you can squeeze a handball, using your fingers only to strengthen your fingers.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Are you using your graver tips full length? If so, shortening them can move your finger placement back towards the handle, so you are gripping it instead of the tip. Also, slide a piece of neoprene tubing on to the tip. It will cushion your thumb so you aren't gripping one of the 90 degree corners of the tip. Lastly, turn your work into the tool which should stay almost stationary.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
loosen your grip ! if your hand is unaccustomed to grasping small items like this, you're going to have to become used to using such a tool. i'm thinking, if you're willing to give up on a tool after only 3 days=== your level of commitment is perilously low to become an engraver. be sure, all engravers go thru difficult periods at first. there are many hurdles to overcome. it's not an easy thing to learn, but a positive attitude will get you thru. as a beginner, you may be getting neck/shoulder pain, backaches, even tension headaches. be kind to yourself at first. engrave for say a half hour-- take a few minutes for a break, then resume. you need to look thru the forum-- things such as body position, bench height, and a bunch of little things can make for a good experience, or bad. learn, above all, to work comfortable & relaxed.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've never, ever heard of this happening and I personally think it is something other than the tool that is causing your misery. Perhaps your grip as mentioned previously, your posture or what you're sitting on causing a pinching of a nerve somehow?

I also had originally suspected an overzealous beginner was experiencing normal discomfort from gripping the tool tightly.
But dogcatcher is right about HAVS which is also called Reynaud's phenomenon. Please be cautioned there are also other possibilities.
Here is more information: www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/83-110
While we have many wonderful and talented engravers on this forum, even a qualified health-care professional would be unable to accurately diagnose you condition through this forum.
If your symptoms persist, you would likely be best served through a candid discussion with the health care provider of your choice.
Dear Yakob, I hope for the best for you. Please let us all know how you are doing.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Yakob

Yes, relax your grip........and see exactly where your thumb is placed on the handpiece.

Is it gripping the end of the barrel where the graver slides into the handpiece? If so it could be getting the full force of the hammering action.

Try experimenting with your grip so the finger and thumb are gripping the graver sides and not the end of the handpiece.

It's normal to feel a little bit of discomfort for a while as your muscles settle into a new position.......but what you are getting is extreme so just be careful and if it persists then see a doctor.

Cheers
Andrew

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
:thinking:There are a few simple solutions to your dilema......

1- Use your other hand and give the one you are using a rest.
2- Make a placement thumb out of thermoloc which would give the needed support to your thumb and the rest of your hand.
3- Don't hold the handpice in a death grip. Be gentle on it after all it is only a piece of metal. You will also find you have more control this way.

Pick one of the above......

I like second variant, at least it helped to me. :graver:

Latest posts

Sponsors