New Video, Gold inlay

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for your video Thierry. I was surprised to see you do not create a background of "teeth" in the inlay cavity as I have seen done before. Rather you use a course stipple technique which would seem to be faster to create. I particularly liked the fact that when a line of gold wire failed to hold, you did not edit that part out of your video! I shows us students that this can happen to the Masters as well and that it's no big problem. Thanks again for taking the time to show your technique.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Very informative video, I had no idea that you could inlay like that with wire, thought those inlays were cut from sheet and inlaid. Nice to see you showed the failed inlay and how to correct it. I have an increased respect for those engravers that do inlay, and for the time invested in the artwork. Thanks for posting this.
Regards
Don

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for your video Thierry. I was surprised to see you do not create a background of "teeth" in the inlay cavity as I have seen done before. Rather you use a course stipple technique which would seem to be faster to create. I particularly liked the fact that when a line of gold wire failed to hold, you did not edit that part out of your video! I shows us students that this can happen to the Masters as well and that it's no big problem. Thanks again for taking the time to show your technique.

1) I do not like the "Teeth" technique I find it very inefficient, very slow and more likely to show steel through the gold.
2) My son would be amuse to think that I could be perfect, indeed sometime gold inlay does not work the way one would like, I was also trying to make the point that one the gold does not stick there is no point of fighting with it, you take a step back, redo do the step which fell you (stippling) and move forward. The time for the inlay to fell is as early as possible as it is the time when it is the easiest to fix.

Thank you for you kind world I am glad that the video was of some use.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Very informative video, I had no idea that you could inlay like that with wire, thought those inlays were cut from sheet and inlaid. Nice to see you showed the failed inlay and how to correct it. I have an increased respect for those engravers that do inlay, and for the time invested in the artwork. Thanks for posting this.
Regards
Don

Different techniques are use for different job, I think that using gold sheet is more appropriate for gold overlay especially if one is going to do sculpting, in that case I would use sheet as it will give me a more stable base not only to sculpt but also to move the metal. The fact remain that gold wire is always my first choice, I hate cutting gold sheet and I am not very good at it.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Great video. 2.5 hours is long but truly learned through the whole thing Fred

Yes it is very long, if you or anyone else feel like editing the video and maybe add more appropriate comments I would be happy to provide him or her with the original video without sound and give that person credit for her/his work.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry,
Could you post a pic of your Bulino tool? In your video it looks like a very sharp round pencil shaped graver of sorts for the dots...Almost appearing as though you aren't removing any metal at times?

Donny

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry,
Could you post a pic of your Bulino tool? In your video it looks like a very sharp round pencil shaped graver of sorts for the dots...Almost appearing as though you aren't removing any metal at times?

Donny

Actually I am not removing any metal, I am displacing it. I use two pencils like tool, both with very sharp point, both tool have very different weight. Bulino is both a technique and the name of a tool, the bulino tool is a cutting tool push by your hand, it is use to cut fine line and does actually remove metal. There are two basic technique for bulino engraving, one with a bulino tool where lines are going to be use to create different level of gray and punti (dot) where the density of dot is going to achieve the same result. In both case you do not want the individual line or dots be distinguishable with your bare eye. Both techniques are time consuming especially the dot one.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Great video, I did not noticed that I spent 2.5 hours

Thank you for your comment. I have a job where I need to do sculpting, it is interesting because two of the patterns are dogs in steel one is a man and his dog in raise gold, two different techniques, it will be fun. I may do one or two video about that too, if the result is pleasing enough, lol.

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for your comment. I have a job where I need to do sculpting, it is interesting because two of the patterns are dogs in steel one is a man and his dog in raise gold, two different techniques, it will be fun. I may do one or two video about that too, if the result is pleasing enough, lol.

I hope you do, thank you for taking the time.

Saludos,

Carlos

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, could you use your technique for wire inlay but use sheet gold. thanks again for the great videos and can't wait to see more.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, could you use your technique for wire inlay but use sheet gold. thanks again for the great videos and can't wait to see more.

My video are not instructional for say, I just demonstrate how I do what I do, other did take upon themselves to teach, they will be more than willing to acquiesce to your request. I use whatever technique I find appropriate for a given job, if I come upon a job where gold sheet seems to be necessary that it what I will use. As I mention I do not like that technique, even when doing raise gold I use gold wire, just thicker one, I just hate sawing gold sheet, it bend and never seems to be the right size further more you cannot cut small details like bird's feathers or tails of dogs At least I cannot, lol.
Of course it is just my opinion, other will differ and are more than welcome to do so, we each use the techniques we feel the most comfortable and most familiar with.

Latest posts

Sponsors