Is cursive handwriting slowly dying out in America?

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ken,Your right the kids today can not only not write cursive but can't even read it.:eek: J.J.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Apparently, they don't teach cursive in medical schools, either. . .check out a Rx sometime. Over in the Old Country, they've preserved cursive. I hope that's still true. Sit on my steps sometime and see the mindless one's one walk, sometime full stride, into walls, telephone poles, and the like, as they thumb their electronic idiot boxes. Today, kids don't care about anything, it seems, and maybe it's our fault for not raising hell and forcing the schools to teach even basic cursive. . .they all need not become calligraphers, but their handwriting shouldn't look like a wild bird with claws full of ink let loose onto some paper. It looks as if we're going to have to teach them cursive at home, as well as rid their minds of the Common Core crap that'll ultimately ruin them. . .it's not fair to the kids. There are kids that'll buck the system and endeavor to do the right thing, and they should be encouraged, by us, since the schools aren't doing their job. The kids do want to learn, if they're given the opportunity, and more and more the schools don't seem to be the place where they'll get that chance.

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I'm homeschooling my kids and will be teaching cursive. It is important that they be able to read original documents for themselves.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Humm
Cursive died around 1956 when I failed writing in 6 grade Ms Desmond, never could do the continuous ovals and pretty letters with a dip pen. However I was very good at spilling ink form the ink wells. :beatup:

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
It really is coming to the point one will not need to hand write anything. Go to a Doctors office, I fill out all of my updates on small electronic notebook. The Doctor sends my prescription to the pharmacy electronically. Most people email and text the written word, the record of the email and text holds up in court. People don't send letters through the mail, they email call or text the message. Fill out a job application? Today most larger places do it Online, type and click.

The only time I use a pen is to write my name on a check at the bank or pay a limited number of bills, everything else is debit or credit card. Most of the time I don't even do that, my wife is usually with me and she writes the check and or signs her name.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I actually signed my checks for a little over a year with an "X"...

Perfectly legal. Went to the bank, showed them my problem - having my crushed right hand rebuilt out of a piece of my hip bone.

They went and got me a "signature" card, I placed my "X", and we used that during the time it took for surgeries and recovery.

The bank said that the last time they had a person use an "X" was in the early 1900's. No one would have ever guessed it without knowing.

Brian

I am possibly the only person you will ever meet - who can scratch his hand in public, and really be scratchin' his butt instead...

Last edited:

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Don,

Are you living in Canada?

Yes Vlad, Nova Scotia hasn't left the Confederation yet. I'm located in Central Nova Scotia, just outside of Pictou (The birth place of New Scotland). Nice to know that I am not alone trying to develop some engraving skills here in Canada.
If you are ever in my area drop in, I'm in the phone book.
Cheers
Don

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
When I lost the tip of my index finger on my right hand in a printing press accident I tried writing with my left hand,could'nt do a thing for two months no work,engraving or writing and I had two helpers who were deaf-mutes now I had to sign with my left hand,was'nt a good time. J.J.

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
There were a good number of Marine recruits entering MCRD in the early 70's who couldn't read or write,they could make their "mark" as a signature.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There were a good number of Marine recruits entering MCRD in the early 70's who couldn't read or write
It was about that time that "Project 100,000" was instituted. The standards for enlisting or being drafted into the armed services were drastically lowered. I think it was one of Johnson's projects. The idea was to allow poor, illiterate folks into the service where they could learn a trade at government expense and become productive members of society upon their separation. I had one of them in my unit who reminded me of the banjo playing kid in Deliverance. It was pretty sad and I think the experiment was a bust.

Latest posts

Sponsors