Question: browning a5 aluminum

art65ab

Just curious, is anyone done or doing a new browning A5 with aircraft aluminum. I do not like alum. I find it not acceptable to fine work am I off? Has anybody got results on the fine side , dog portrait, scene type work.Has anyone any info regarding success or comments on the nasty side of alum? Thanks art

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
art,I would stay away from that Browning A-5 and only engraving the ones made in Belgium,where was this A-5 made? J.J.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just as an addition... Any A5 is a pain to engrave. The long action combined with the magazine tube and butt recoil spring tube make the ONE long bugger to put in a vise. The tubes can be removed but usually requires special tools and skills.

JJ Roberts

Art,Better stay away from the Remington M-870 and M-1100's there magazine tubes are just as long.:beatup: J.J.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
The tube removals can be difficult as mentioned above...also you will want to know what type of finish (probably hard) that was used on it.

As to your question about aluminum taking detail, hopefully the attached photo will show what can be done. On a gun you would want to refinish with something hard to preserve the detail. Electroless nickel plating is one good option for that.

Attachments

• baritone uke inlays overlays and rosette e.jpg
    baritone uke inlays overlays and rosette e.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 90

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Just as an addition... Any A5 is a pain to engrave. The long action combined with the magazine tube and butt recoil spring tube make the ONE long bugger to put in a vise. The tubes can be removed but usually requires special tools and skills.

I was good to go until I read I needed skills :confused:....back to my books and plates :graver:

Donny

Latest posts

Sponsors