Question: New member with estate sale finds ... Where to start?

delgraving

I bought a lot of lapidary equipment and the following engraving equipment at an estate.

Gravermax with foot pedal and 2 hand pieces
Grs graving vice
Bits
Books

Although it wasnt cheap the price seemed fair at the time. I had to take the gravermax apart and found that all of the internal hoses had rotted. I replaced them with 1/4" clear hose that i got at home depot and now it seems to be working ok.

So a few questions ...

1. There are two vhs tapes included. Should i convert them to dvd so i can use them (approx $40)

2. The larger of the two hand pieces seems to be missing a collar? can i buy replacement parts?

3. Whats the best way for a beginner to get started? Mostly interested in scroll engraving.

Pics below

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You have a good kit there. Your handpieces are the 801 and the 710. Both are workhorse handpieces I've put a lot of miles on. The 710 isn't missing anything. It's good to go. You'll find the smaller 801 will do 95% of what you need to do and it's more comfortable to use.

I can't advise on copying the VHS tapes.

You'll probably want a sharpening system or you can review my hand sharpening demonstration video in the Tips Archive. You'll also see me sharpen by hand in my hammer & chisel demonstration video in the Tips Archive.

As I tell everyone who starts their engraving journey, your best bet is to take a class or find someone locally who can help you get started.

Latest posts

Sponsors