Question: GRS Training ruined me

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I LOVED the basic class I took with Jake, even made me feel like a real engraver at times. Unfortunately I'm ruined for anything but the best equipment now. I'm spoiled rotten.

I got home and set up my new system without a microscope. No way no how. My husband just ordered me a scope for my birthday.

Any suggestions on desks or benches? Right now I'm just using the counter in the shop until I find something that works. I hit the flea market yesterday but couldn't find anything. I'm trolling the local craigslist as well.

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
Neisha, you have now been afflicted with the tool collecting disease. We all have it. There is no cure. No hope of recovery. Only small periods of relief after your latest tool acquisition. Relax and accept it. Enjoy your time at the engraving bench.
Dan

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
harbor freight has nice heavy wood work tables, discount coupon in american rifleman magazine

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You're going to know the UPS drivers first name last name and date of birth now...... Remember just tell your significant other that all tools were on sale when you bought them

Saludos,

Carlos

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
My husband and I started a gun shop on our property two years ago. I'm always surprised when guys lie to their wives about how much things cost.

The UPS and FEDex ladies already know the names of my kids and where the dog likes to be scratched and that my packages are going to be HEAVY.

I am super lucky my husband is behind me on this. He was actually surprised I didn't spend more in Kansas and is talking about me taking more classes.

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
A friend of mine tells me that the only thing that can slow down the need for more tools is a wife, then he shakes his head and says: "poor me." It seemes, however, that you have struck gold. Good luck with aquiering your new toys, and keep us updated on your progress.

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
One unexpected side effect is that the biometric lock on the gun vault in the living room no longer recognizes me because of all the scratches on my finger tip I've gotten from brushing off stubborn chips.

art65ab

3/4 inch real plywood, 4"x4" big legs and 2x4's around back and sides (need one across back to put your feet up as you sit back and look at your GRS microscoped work). I found a beauty of an old table Mahogany table top 19 x 48 inches stained adeep brown like old furniture. I put that on plywood about twenty years ago and never took it off. Nice dark surface, hauled it from Kansas city to London , england and back again. I know real dinosaur type a1. Have a good day and as long as your work looks good to client at arm's length we all will be fine microscoe or not. LOL

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know only one thing, make a working place very comfortable for you. It is very important, believe me. Good luck!

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
Practice Piece 2014 Oct 22.jpg

Got a chance to practice a little today. This is the first thing I "designed" on my own (used Sam's scroll templates) and only the second thing I've done. I know it looks uneven in the shading but I was trying different things to see what felt most comfortable for me. I really don't like the back grounding on the edges. I may go back and fix it. I also know I need a LOT more practice.

I also posted on the Colorado Gun Trader Facebook page which has almost 11k members asking for scrap and I'm getting a ton of support.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I LOVED the basic class I took with Jake, even made me feel like a real engraver at times. Unfortunately I'm ruined for anything but the best equipment now. I'm spoiled rotten.

I got home and set up my new system without a microscope. No way no how. My husband just ordered me a scope for my birthday.

Any suggestions on desks or benches? Right now I'm just using the counter in the shop until I find something that works. I hit the flea market yesterday but couldn't find anything. I'm trolling the local craigslist as well.

It is a misconception that the tool make the work, I have seen in North Africa people working on the street, sitting their holding a large tray with their feet as they engraved it (repousse technique). Tools are helping the craftsman (woman) they are not creating the artist.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Look at globalindustrial.com look under work benches. 2 inch thick maple bench tops at good prices. My link is not working right now for some reason- Fred

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
3/4 inch real plywood, 4"x4" big legs and 2x4's around back and sides (need one across back to put your feet up as you sit back and look at your GRS microscoped work). I found a beauty of an old table Mahogany table top 19 x 48 inches stained adeep brown like old furniture. I put that on plywood about twenty years ago and never took it off. Nice dark surface, hauled it from Kansas city to London , england and back again. I know real dinosaur type a1. Have a good day and as long as your work looks good to client at arm's length we all will be fine microscoe or not. LOL

I recently moved my equipment from the gun shop to my basement so I can get more practice time in. No need for beauty down there so I'm taking your advice and having my husband build me a monster L shaped work bench so I can keep expanding.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Only small periods of relief after your latest tool acquisition. Dan

that's not a "period of relief". it's nothing more than the brief, illusory high all addicts feel when they get their favorite fix. it just builds dependency and leaves you strung out, looking to score ever more powerful stuff. oh sure, you say you can stop at few hand burins, a sharpening stone, maybe a small, but good quality vise, get by with an optivisor... before you know it you're hiding the GRS catalog from your spouse and having packages delivered to your work address.

"What? No, that's the same air compressor I've always had. Maybe it seems quieter because I did a little work on it so it runs smoother. Yeah, it used to be Sears Craftsman red, but I thought silvery gray looked better. The Jun-Air decal? That's a Danish rock band I've followed since college..."