Question: When to Acid Etch When Removing Background

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
When doing background removal, what is the general rule of thumb as to when you would acid etch the metal vs removing it w/a graver or air grinder?
My question is driven by the 2013 FEGA rifle where the team etched the metal to make the scene w/ the rocks and buffalo. Normally I’ve just used grinders, gravers and punches, but the results using etching produced a very different “feelâ€￾. I’ve not done etching like was used on the rifle, and the question has been in the back of my brain. I’m just looking those that have more experience.

Thanks much
Dan

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
never did a gun, but have done such on buckles and knives. i'd not consider it without sufficient practice with the procedure to be very certain of the results you get. i think barry lee hands did a tutorial on this very subject.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
this is a process I too would like to add to my skill set sometime this year. especially since im out of that apartment and have more room/ ventilation to practice this.

will be mainly applying this to knife engraving.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Contact the owner at Chronite, a nice guy and he can explain the process and supplies needed. Usually he will call you back, well worth the wait. Have a note book handy this guy is a encyclopedia of etching.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Dave...thanks. Appreciate the feedback very much.
I was more wondering "when" more than how.
Reading the old FEGA mag's it just got me thinking. I wanted to get some general input from those w/ much more experience.

As I look at a knive/rifle/shotgun.....is it a finished texture, layered look, size of the area, etc some of the factors?
Removing background can be straight forward but knowing some of the "stuff" people bring into the decision (to etch or not) helps.

Dan Gerdes

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You may also be interested in the DVDs of the seminar that Bob Evans did about flush gold inlay using acid etch. The basic techniques for deep acid etch apply in many situations.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if i were interested in doing "several levels" on a project, i'd choose to etch. otherwise, micromotor and graver techniques. would prevail. when one gets up to speed with etching, i'd think it far easier (for me) to control the levels. the etching process can be controlled by timing. this is based on always using fresh chemicals, and using the same formulas for your procedures. some will reuse the chemicals. i feel only the fresh stuff will give the best results. you also have to take into consideration that different guns (meaning differing alloys) may not react exactly the same way with a given etchant. keep a journal.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When it comes to etching out backgrounds on guns, Marcus Hunt's father, Ken was the real innovator. Ken was experimenting with acid many years ago. Maybe Marcus will comment on his father's use of acid. In the mean time, I have attached three images of a 28 gauge Purdey engraved by Ken. The use of acid to remove background is most evident in the game scenes.

Attachments

• Purdey 28ga-OU-K.HunB.jpg
    Purdey 28ga-OU-K.HunB.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Purdey 28ga-OU-K.Hunt-R.jpg
    Purdey 28ga-OU-K.Hunt-R.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 61
  • Purdey 28ga-OU-K.Hunt-L.jpg
    Purdey 28ga-OU-K.Hunt-L.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 61

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
I'll second what Dave said about the owner of Chronite... He spoke with me at length a while back about the process. I just need to purchase some of their products to give it a try.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for those photos Roger. Acid etching is something I've never tried on steel but it does seem to have advantages both aesthetic and technical. Oh what I'd give for more time to play around with techniques!