What are these things?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I feel like I'm overlooking the obvious, but I'm not sure what these templates are for. It appears that the hole shapes are similar to the cuts used in script monograms, and the three sizes might indicate there's a connection with pocket watch sizes. They're also concave so they would fit over a watch case...at least that what it appears to be. Anyone ever see these before?

templates.jpg

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
They definitely appear to be a template or die for a machine like a panagraph, not for something more intricate like a watch back.
Most likely they are something easy like an extruder die for a pasta maker.

Dan

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
At first glance they looked like banner or lettering layouts for pocket watches to me... and you say they are thin - but the more I look at them, the more I am not so sure?

If the notches are indexes you'd think they'd be oriented vertically - with the stem... instead of horizontally?

And there are couple that have slots that aren't symetrical... but that could've been a special job/circumstance?

Sorry, I can't commit to anything for certain - never seen 'em before and I've cost you that bet :(

Brian

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is funny what you find in lots of engraving tools on ebay. I have a wire brush, probably 2 or 300 thin soft brass wires. They are wrapped with a heavier brass wire that can be unwrapped to expose more length of the fine wire then the end slide under the last wrap and pulled tight. Bought with a beautiful engravers box with space for proably fifty tool in the top compartment, has walnut boards that lock the tools into place. Also has locking slide out for 30 more hand tools. I think I paid $60 on ebay full of tools. many with cork handles or handle made for rubber stamps that have been modified with ferules of wrapped with brass wire. No one seems to know what it is either.. I have gotten some other odd stuff with tools I've bought. I think these were made for paragraph for some special purpose

Andrew Biggs

Hi Sam

My guess is that they are lettering layout templates. If you orientate the V slots to the side (9 and 3 o'clock) that's what they look like.

That way you don't have to draw top and bottom lines and can use standard layouts. Place them on the watch, then scribe the lettering in the slots. Or scribe the lines and then embellish with lettering if you need something fancy.

Perhaps they are so thin so they can conform to the watch a bit better and be used as concave or convex templates.

My guess is that they are home made.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Put common shaped ones together and starting from the biggest to the smaller of the types, Put them on a piece of paper and draw the lines with a fine pencil, overlaying each of them and see what you come up with. Ty.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Recently a lot on ebay went with similar templates that were billed as a monogram system - there were, if I recall correctly, a set of instructions with them also.

The title of the sale was "Old Colorado Springs Jewelry & Watch Engraving Books, Art Patterns,Templates" by seller leominero. It ended on September 26th, and can be found on Ebay with a search of completed items.

Looks like they have a notch to use to line up, maybe? The examples on the practice plate look as if they may correspond with the sizes of the major lines on the templates.

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They are part of a Play Doh factory!! And you have to be a baby boomer to know what that was...........
I hope you find an answer. I would like to guess lettering templates as well but there just isn't enough "shapes" there.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a few years ago, a friend and machinist brought me a lot of baffles. they were shaped much like those, but were a series of tiny holes of varying sizes. these so called baffles were custom diaphragms to be fitted into very expensive microphones. the pattern of holes were made in such fashion to more perfectly reproduce the voice of the singer. my fit in the equation was to engrave serial numbers on them, as all were slightly different. the arrangement of the holes were quite similar to the slits shown in the brass. i might add, the technology to match microphones to an individuals' voice has probably only been in use for maybe 10 years. if the fotos of the disks in the post are much older, my thought would hold no sway in the matter.

Keirkof

I've no idea what Sam's items are. But Marrinan: what you described, sounds a lot like a brass wire brush to clean metal residue from files. When your files are clogged with metal, rub with this brush to remove the buildup.

Here's a picture of mine...

Foto-0411.jpg

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Recently a lot on ebay went with similar templates that were billed as a monogram system - there were, if I recall correctly, a set of instructions with them also.

The title of the sale was "Old Colorado Springs Jewelry & Watch Engraving Books, Art Patterns,Templates" by seller leominero. It ended on September 26th, and can be found on Ebay with a search of completed items.

Looks like they have a notch to use to line up, maybe? The examples on the practice plate look as if they may correspond with the sizes of the major lines on the templates.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Colorad...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Keirkof, You sure could be right. Mine is round and the outside brass wrapping wire runs from one end to the other. Just about as big as a jumbo pencil. Probalbly 6 inches long. Short wires onone end and a little longer on the other. Thanks Fred

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My thoughts exactly, as I have some from my drafting days in school.

Hello All - Reading over that the items are very thin, they remind me of an old draftsman's eraser shield although I believe that Andrew Biggs thoughts may be closer than mine.

Sponsors