Help, please: microscope

Brigitta

Hi, I am new to the Engraver's Cafe so let me introduce myself;
I am a goldsmith and did some engraving-work long ago, but was introduced to the 'new way' of engraving by taking Sam Alfano's class in Europe about 8 years ago (Thank's Sam!).Got excited and bought the equipment (except the microscope)....and did not get much time to do much with it...that means until now!
Now I have a problem with centering the piece underneath the microscope. I have an stereo zoom microscope of the brand MOTIC , with an auxiliary lens of 0,5 and eyepieces of 10x. I put a plate on my GRS standard block of 50mm square and would like to engrave something at the side of the plate 9so not in the middle). If I put the block under the microscope and focus on the part to be engraved I understand that it will move out of my vision so I need an additional turnable base. Now I try to get the side of the plate clear with the widest field view (about 40mm). Now when I turn to engrave scrolls the side of the plate moves out of view all the time, even when I tighten the rotation-system of the GRS-block and only rotate the turnable base. What am I doing wrong? I hope someone will have an answer to this!

By the way enjoy reading all the info on this website, and the beautiful engravings in the pictures!!

Brigitta

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Brigitta! Nice to see you on the forum. I hope you've been well.

Here's a short video by GRS which explains the use of the turntable. Be sure to have the turntable's point of rotation (its center) centered under your scope using the centering post that comes with it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
have not seen the video, so cant comment on that. a grs centering vise can be a great help for scope users.. there's numerous items in the tips section, check them out.i have turntable, centering vise, as well as a home brewed device that can assist with the centering problem. if you want, i can send fotos of the gadget i made,

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Humm, I also use a turntable, the trick to avoid moving the microscope itself.
1) All part of the system need to be horizontal or parallel the microscope and the turntable.
2) The turn table need to be static (can turn but not move horizontally)
3) Adjust the microscope so you can see the center of your turn table in the center of your eyepiece. Make sure that the center of the turn table remain in the center of your field of view when the turn table turn.
4) Avoid moving the microscope, move the vise so the part you are working on will fall in your field of vision. Of course this system work only if you are using the turntable to move the piece you work on.

Brigitta

Thanks to You all for Your replies. With Your tips and GRS-video on the topic I was able to solve the problem....all ready to get started now!!

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I marked the middle of my turntable with a big red spot with a permanent marker, now it's more easy to refocus on the middle if necessary.
Just turn your turntable and hold the marker in the middle.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Thank you for the video, very useful help for guys who starts using a microscopes.

Latest posts

Sponsors