Critique Request - Western Bright Cut

krist003

Hello all. I was hoping to get some quick critiques from the experts on this steel practice plate. As you can see it is not finished. I see a lot of areas that need work in both design and cutting, but am sure there are other things that I did not consider. Thanks for the help. (Update: Finished plate on page 2)

Picture 009.jpg Picture 016.jpg Picture 017.jpg

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
krist, Your oft to a very good start,keep us posted and it will all fall together for you.:thumbsup: J.J.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Here's my 2 cents. When you are bright cutting you need to fill the whole area. So when you are doing your layout fix it up so your backbones bump against the border and against each other instead of leaving space between them in places. Same with your flowers. You might want to either bump them against the border or have them far enough off it where you can fill in with some leaf cuts or something that looks good. Try to keep the dead spots to a minimum and it will be easier to fill them in. I hope that made sense. Your scrolls are kind of wonky too. But your design flows pretty well and is pleasing to the eye. Just a little tweaking and you could have things rolling so keep on truckin!

Stewart

krist003

when you are doing your layout fix it up so your backbones bump against the border and against each other instead of leaving space between them in places.

Thanks Stewart. This is exactly what I learned on this one. I don't have the best control yet so I was afraid to draw the backbones so close together as I thought I may run into one while doing the other, but it would have made for a much better design without having to fill in the little weird areas.

Dan, good advice. I need to order some copper practice plates.

This plate just doesn't pop for me like I see others work do. Am I going too heavy on the small liner? Or maybe it is just my lack of experience and bad line placement.

Thanks everyone.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Overall, I think you've done fine at beginning on this plate - and I'm sure you've heard about the 5 gallon bucket full of practice plates...?

In addition to to the advice that Stewart gave you, I can only add a coupla little things. (and you've probably already noticed them by now?)

Where your upper right scroll comes out from under the flower needs cross shading.

Some of the leaves in the lower right corner are lacking the closure cuts.

Some of leaves you are using to fill spaces between could use some changing... direction or shape or both.

Your scroll backbones will become smoother and the depth a little lighter and more consistent with time...

Your bright cuts will also become more consistent.

Personally, for the size ratio you are using, I would maybe use a bit finer liner in the leaves? Try one and see if you like the result.

Just the fact that you are DOING practice plates and asking for advice puts you on the right path.

Take a look at Shawn Didyoungs' early work and compare it to where he is now!

Keep working on filling that bucket.

Brian

Last edited:

krist003

Haha, thanks for the comments Brian. I just bought another stack of practice plates and am having a blast. I follow Shawn's work and am always blown away; what an insiration. And if it wasn't for you, I don't think I would even be engraving. I am very thankful for all of the help here.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Krist, please keep posting pics. You have got some good things going, I look forward to watching your progress!

Stewart

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
krist.
this may be what stewart is talking about.
run your backbone to the edge of your borders.
try plan ahead for the leaves so you don't have any odd space to fill.
always try to shoot for nice round scrolls.
all it takes is practice and study.:tiphat:
lots of drawing :drawing: and cutting should be in your future

krist003

Yep, it all makes perfect sense now that I have finished the plate. A lot of goofy little areas that I did not know what to do with. Some spots I look at and think "what in the world is going on there", haha, oh well, on to the next one.

I have printed out several pages full of 2"x2" practice square templates and throughout the day I just draw out a pattern on each one. Then when I have time to engrave I just pick the one I like best and go for it.

Attachments

• Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some of your crosshatching gives the illusion of transparency, like the scroll on top is not really on top. Too busy for the eye to differentiate the space covered.

Bill

krist003

I see what you mean Big-Un. I am having a hard time with the liners and its looks a little too busy to me as well. Practice makes perfect.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Shawn .... " all it takes is practice and study.". Thanks

krist003

Well, I did some studying and some more practice. Copper this time. It's a little better I think, at least in design. It was actually a little tricky going from steel to copper. Man that copper cuts easily. I could really use some practice with that dot punch :confused:. Any critique is welcome and appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• PP4 (3).jpg
    PP4 (3).jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 70
  • PP4 (4).jpg
    PP4 (4).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 69
  • PP4 (1).jpg
    PP4 (1).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like both versions, I agree steel is not particular the metal for brightcut but you managed well on that material in my opinion.
On copper you did even better so you can be proud on this achievement.
Just a question, what type of graver did you use, flat or another geometry?

krist003

Thanks Willem. I used a flat and the Lindsay parallel point. I don't really have a preference on which I like better for this style yet.

Latest posts

Sponsors