Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Andrew,
    I am impressed at the progress you've made. I'm also very impressed with your intregity and honesty. I look forward to your seminar on computer photo techniques in Reno. I plan to be on the front row with my notebook. It is my hope that you will always continue engraving.
    M A Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Any wife who puts up with an engraver HAS to be a Good wife. IMHO, Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I'll agree...
    I've been through 2 without success...

Post Thanks / Like

Another great interview. Andrew as I said before good looking work keep it up.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

It is just wonderful to see Andrew's fine interview.
    His values, dedication and resolve are clear for all to see.
    These, together with his natural skill will be sure to create a world class engraver in the near future.
    Andrew make friends and helps others.
    I am very pleased to see so many fine engravers reach out to help and guide
    him in his development.
    It's wonderful to welcome Andrew Biggs as part of our engraving community.
    Many thanks to Sam for this valuable forum which brings us together.
    And to quote Glen, the good woman behind the good man.
    John B.

Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Andrew,

How much of difference do you think that the power-assisted pneumatic tool has made in your remarkable progress? I'm guessing you never tried hammer & chisel, just the Foredom?

We have one of the Foredom PowerGravers in the classroom, but mechanical impact tools (including NGraver) have some disadvantages - mainly the awkwardness of the flexshaft, the fact that they wear quickly, strokes are limited a bit, and the handpiece designs are not really "ergonomical". However, I have students come here who already own them, and even a few who have stayed with them...

What was your experience?

Looking forward to meeting you in January!

Brian Marshall

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for those very kind and encouraging words. I must admit that I was very surprised to be asked for an interview and felt extremely privileged at the same time. Thank you also to Sam an Abigail for asking me and for providing a wonderful forum and tutorials. Hopefully one day in the future I’ll get to meet you both in person. I would enjoy that.

Hi Brian………….Yes, I tried the hammer and chisel and hand sharpening for maybe a total of 3-4 nights. I’m 48 years old and quickly realised that if I really wanted to get a grip on this engraving thing before I turned 100 then I’d have to get better tools that were more suited to my particular level of patience. The Foredom is a good little tool because you can get a power hone with it, but your right, the flexishaft is a pain and the level of very fine control is not really there.

The air tools are amazing and I would say without a doubt they have been a strong contributor to my learning curve. They don’t prevent flat spots, wonky scrolls or uneven cutting or make your design look any better as that’s the job of the hand holding the tool.

What the air tools and the power hone do is give you confidence. You can read the instructions and sharpen a tool properly in a few minutes so that it actually cuts the metal. Then with the air tool you only have to guide it. (How well is the hard part)

All of which is really important for a beginner. As a novice of anything you have to have a few quick successes to keep your interest up and boost your morale. If it takes a few months to learn to sharpen a tool properly by hand and then a few more years to get to grips with a hammer and chisel, or burin, then the motivation levels can start dropping fairly quickly. It also distracts from other more important issues like design and layout, metal preparation and finish etc.

Now in saying all of that………… I’m not in any way shape or form trying to start any kind of tool war over which tool is better than the other. This is purely my own personal opinion based on my experience. Naturally there will be others that have a different opinion based on their experiences. And that’s the way it should be.

At the end of the day, a tool is only a tool and it’s the hand driving the tool that makes it work or not. For me personally, the air tool and power hone were a God send.

I’m also very much looking forward to meeting you in January as well Brian. How many more sleeps to go now???? John’s probably going to have to get me deported because I won’t want to leave!!!!

Merry Christmas to you all

Andrew Biggs
    Last edited by Andrew Biggs; 12-11-2006 at 07:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew,
    I'm truly amazed at your work, and only 15 months at it ,is amazing to say the least. I had seen some of your work posted before ,and thought you had been at this for years. It is no doubt that you will become one of the great masters of this of this fine art form. I very much enjoyed the interview,and hope to meet you in Reno, and wish you all the success in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

You are making some great cuts.
    This is my 1st year engraving and had 3 classes this year also. I am nowhere near where you are in skill. It would seem it does take more than just tools and classes.

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew, very impressive no matter how long you have been at it. Unfortunatly, I am unable to make Reno and would have been in the front row as well. So I will purchase the seminar from FEGA. ? What is your computer seminar going to cover.