Scroll Developement

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I always am intrigued by how different engraving looks as it developed. When you first start laying out and engraving your scroll it does look rather BLAH and uninteresting. But as you then start to add details and shading it starts to get a life of it's own and becomes much more interesting. Attached are two "quickie" cell phone photos of a shotgun I am working on and just thought I would share with you. The shading is still not complete but is coming along.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,199
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,185

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Marty. It must be that Colorado air...I know my work seems to be getting more interesting since moving here!

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
I see I'm not the only one who has spent too much time studying Fantastic Ornamentation.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty, A couple of questions for you. It has been quit a few years since I left Colorado (79) When did they open a season on Griffiths and what gauge shoot gun do you use? Four gauge or maybe two. What is the limit and are there many around the Durango area? Beautiful composition sir. -Fred

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
photo.jpg I forgot to include the first photo I took when I first started the engraving.
Fred. The open season is determined by the altitude and lack of oxygen of the particular huntig zone. The less oxygen the better the hallucinations which make for a more exciting "kill". Grotesque dogs are the preferred method of cornering the prey as are nekked ladies. See what you're missing?

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Marty, looks like your doing beautifully with your engraving. Very "Classical and Mythical" styling. How's your health? See you in Jan?
I am layed up for several weeks at home. drafting table and engraving bench next to my recliner. i will send you some photos later. all my best!
Van

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Marty, that is fantastic! It's going to be great to see this come to completion. Thanks for sharing the pics with us, and keep 'em coming!

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very impressive piece of art, thank you for sharing this beautiful sample. I am waiting for the final piece. :thumbsup:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know Marty - that looks like it's got a lot of life right from the beginning.
Just more proof that the best thing you can do to start cheap is draw, draw, draw.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Rabeno strikes again. This will be another superb piece. I hope it's in Vegas. Nothing like seeing it in person.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good morning and thanks to all for the kind comments.
In answer to a few of your questions......Yeah it took a lot of research and drawing to come up with a design and some figures i could alter that would work with what i was trying to do here on this gun. The gun is one of Tony Galazans "Inverness" shotguns. It is a teeny weeny 20 gauge that shows up on the screen quite a bit larger than it is in real life. Tony has an extreemly talented stable of engravers for his guns world wide and does not let his guns leave the factory in the white for others to engrave so I was deeply flattered that he made an exception in my case. Being a European style gun i wanted to give it a continental feel and didn't want to do the usual dogs and birds on it. I also wanted to engrave a more flourished style scroll on it rather than the scroll people usually associate me with.
I plan on having it finished in time for our guild get together in Vegas and display it in the white. After the show I will worry about getting it properly hardened and metal finished.
Van. When you are layed up working with your hands is good therapy. So keep that sketch pad jandy and use those #2 Ticinderoga pencils. Yeah I hate mechanical pencils. Hope you are feeling better and on a swift road to recovery.
Once again, thanks to all.
Marty

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
Absolutely love the theme and layout of the design!

You are a true artist whereas I don't have an artistic bone in my body...

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just for a break, I am starting a simple scroll on the top break lever for the shotgun. Here is how I start out. i will take pictures for you as i go along on the scroll so you can see how my mind works as it shows me what to do.
Hope you enjoy it.
Marty

Attachments

• lever.jpg
    lever.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 343