Scroll Developement

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
SamW...you are right. It scares me also. Heading up into the mountains today to ride my ATV and look at the fall colors. Here is the next phase of the top lever engraving. lever2.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great information you are sharing Marty. Thank you for the insights. A sound piece of advice from a native born son of the front range and long time resident of the high county. Dump the ATV get a mountain horse or mule and ride the high country trails. You will see things you never knew were just a hundred feet off the trail. Get some USGS topo maps of the area you are interested in and look for the old trails between mining towns and the old mines. You will discover a world that you can not see or get to from an atv. Fred

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Heck Fred.
You can drive right up to the springs in Pagosa and see some incredible sights ! Especially after sunset. ;)

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred.a horse or mule would kill me. Remember I'm from the Bronx originally. I was up near your old neck of the woods yesterday and the fall colors were amazing. Here's some shots up near Animas Forks and California Gulch
I am also having to get back to the engraving grind at least for a little while and here is another photo of the top lever. The background has been recessed and matted. Now it's on to the shading.

Attachments

• lever 3.jpg
    lever 3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 413
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 409
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 414
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 413

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK The scroll shading is finished.the weekend is just about here and it's time to go out and play. I hope you enjoyed the photos and thank you for the kind comments. Now go out and have some fun.

lever4.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for both the pictures and your progress photos. We used to fish up the for brook trout with a fly rod. Was good fishing in the old day. those old mine mills will sometimes produce some treasures. In the late sixties a contractor was pulling timbers out of the Arkansas rive that had been part of a gold trap for a placier operation years and years before. Was winter when the water was low and they had piled the beams (we call the stove bolts) on the shore and set them on fire. The contractor noticed something running out of the base of the fire. He kicked cold sand on it and went on about his business. A while later he picked it up and it pure gold been imbedded in the beams. I don't remember how much he made on that little salvage job. For several years after that there was a rash of fires at those old diggings. After the Camp Bird shut down and the Revenue mine someone went up while the watchman was away and burn the assay office and the main office where Dad had worked and the manger's house to the ground. Burned the mill and portal buildings as well. Was happening all of the state. Camp Bird is how Tom Walsh made his money his daughter bought the hope diamond. Thanks again for the memories. There are other places up there that are not on the maps. Old diggings of the trail that take a bit of research and walking to find. One or two man operations where they packed the rich ore out on mules to be processed by the bigger mines. Camp bird had a shaft were they cold dump directly into ore cars to go to the mill. Bet I am one of the few who could find that shaft today. Fred

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Texas Cowboy, I'd sure love to. could show you some places nobody has been over for many many years. If it's not next to the road few venture very far in. Even deer, elk, and sheep hunters don't go far from established trails. Health has kinda ended those treks for me for the time being. May never be in the back country again while I'm living. My daughter knows the way to spread what's left after. Fred

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
My buddy from Kerrville, Texas had a Wolf/ Malamute that passed away. He loaded him up in the truck and took him to Pagosa and buried him in the high country .
Did you ever know Dirk ,the Mountain Rat, and Colt Ross ?
They too spent a LOT of time in the high country.
I can't perambulate like I used to either ,BUT, I'd still like to see the place again. My old place was on the Stolzenheimer creek at Cat Creek, right next to Chimney Rock.
Beautiful country !

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty, In the original picture of the lever I noticed a flat spot in the lever itself. Your border ran true but was narrower at about five o'clock. I know this was a factory issue and nothing to do with your layout. had you followed it you would have had an elbow. I notice now that it is gone. How did you accomplish this repair. The border is now true and uniform all the way around. Thanks, hope you are having a great time this weekend. Fred

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred
I think it is a combination of a crummy photo and deceiving perspective. The engraved part of the lever is actually slightly domed and I think the curvature created that illusion. If i did happen to fix it....wish i knew how i did it.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Marty,I think Tony will be sending you more work after he see's that gun,keep up the good work.:thumbsup: J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors