Microscope question

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Watching a monitor is 2D. Using binocular eyepieces is working in 3D. I don't know anyone that engraves watching a monitor. Not saying it's not possible, but I don't know anyone doing it and I wouldn't want to work that way myself.

Sam

Staff member
The Mantis has a single viewing screen but a binocular (3D) view. I tried one at a show and it wasn't right for me. That was several years ago. They might be better now.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
I have a friend who is an electronics engineer. He uses a mantis and the depth of field is tiny. Looking at a circuit board with components on, the top of a resistor is in focus, yet the copper track is not. Also you have to interchange the lenses to get different levels of magnification. Buy cheap. Buy twice. Get a good second hand stereo.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Didn't like the Mantis at all. The disconnect experienced at first working through a quality microscope is hard enough to overcome. I can't imagine trying to look at a screen while cutting.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
I "borrowed" an Aven MightyScope from the electronics department at work to try it out. I haven't engraved under a scope before, but I do use an optical stereo microscope for my QA work. It does not compare favorably. Like others have mentioned, the resolution is low and the working distance is not easily adjusted. I'm still playing with it, so I can do a more in depth review (with pictures!) if there is interest.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Since posting, I've done a bit of additional research. Though I don't have experience on the operational actuality of the device, two points became clear:

1. Cost for the lesser electronic models start at about the same price point as mid-high end optical scopes are found, so on that one point alone I've lost interest.
2. Electronic scopes, no matter how good, have a finite life (10000 hours is what the Mantis is rated at), so they are essentially temporary equipment.

Bob

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Back in the early 80's, when I lived in New York for a while, Bruce Beebe told me that there was an engraver using a microscope set up with a camera attached and viewed on a small TV screen. I cannot remember who the engraver was, but the name Winston Churchill arose in visits with him, as well as a few others whom I cannot remember. Some probably have passed away, and the cost of such a set up, back at that time, must have been astronomical. I'm thinking, partially due to cost, the idea didn't catch on and most probably stuck with the microscope and the optivisor which we all had. Maybe some improvements in optics, depth of field, and lower cost might resurge the idea, but I'm not so sure. Like me, I don't think many of us can afford state-of-the-art stuff, so I'll stick with the basics.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
The Meiji EMZ trinoc has a camera port.
Most of your YouTube vids are shot with a similar setup.
I purchased a complete Meiji setup with camera and variable lumen light ring for $400.
They are out there.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Back in the early 80's, ... there was an engraver using a microscope set up with a camera attached and viewed on a small TV screen. I cannot remember who the engraver was,

if i'm not mistaken, Steve Lindsay did so for awhile. he used to bring his microscope and a small B&W monitor to gun & knife shows and put various of his engravings under the scope for people to see up close. thinking that set-up was purely for display purposes, once i asked him what magnification he generally worked at? he zoomed the image on the screen a bit and said, "About that much."

Sam

Staff member
I've seen Blaine Lewis do diamond setting while looking at the TV output when teaching a class, but for real world setting he doesn't do it.

Latest posts

Sponsors